Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to the breeder that I am getting my kitten from in 2 days. I asked her what kind of food she is feeding him just so I know what to buy....she said she is feeding him Iams Adult!!!! She said that when she fed them kitten food they all got diarrhea...including the adults that were eating it. Is this strange? Should I worry?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Rich food will cause diarrhea in cats. On the other hand, the kittens should have kitten food. I would try a different brand, and mix it in with the adult food gradually, watching the results. If all works out you can keep her on the kitten chow. One other thing. I would ask if she had a stool sample checked- in case there's another problem.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Maleke,

I am feeding my 16wk old kitten adult food on advice from my vet. When he was eating kitten food he had soft and VERY stinky poo so that is what she suggested. It isn't bad for them - there is very little difference between adult and kitten food. The kitten food just tends to have more calories and extra fat that growing kitties need and it was the fat that was making him stinky. Plus our adult cat was eating his food and with the extra calories, we didn't want her to gain excessive weight so adult food was what my vet suggested. Ideally kitten food is the best though but feeding adult food isn't going to hurt him.

Have fun with your new kitty! I know how excited I was 2 days before we got ours!!

tanyuh

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tanyuh!!!! I feel MUCH better knowing that you feed Psi adult food too. Do you think it would hurt to mix some kitten food in with it....or maybe I should just stick with the adult food if he's fine on that.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I believe in making all transitions gradually, because a sudden change in the food can also cause digestive upset. (You can't win for losing, huh?) Don't worry; it won't take long to make the change.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks guys.....I'll buy both and try mixing a little kitten food in with the adult food and see what happens. I'll be posting picutres of him tomorrow!!!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hehe. I hope your kitty won't be stinky on the adult food!! I don't even think Psi could stand it. He wouldn't even cover it up with litter, he'd just poo and leave hahaha. So it realllllllly stunk up the place. But now he's not stinky at all. We are getting new food though. Going from Iams adult Oceanfish to Natural Balance because of the by-product issue. Supposedly without by-products the stool will be even less stinky and there will be less of it to begin with. I'll report the results after they've had it for a while.

Have fun with your new kitty!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts