Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking to a friend of mine from the UK (england specifically) and he mentioned to me he was surprised to hear an American speak so fondly of cats. I inquired what he meant and he replied that he though americans didn't like cats very much. I asked where I got that impression and he replied the television - various shows and such, off hand remarks and comments over the years.

I'm curious: has anyone else heard this before?

Any Europeans who come here, is this true? Does your media make it out as if the US doesn't like cats?

Just curious...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey,

I cannot confirm this opinion.
I never heard about American people not loving their cats.

Of course some TV-shows report about pet owners in the U.S. But they never show us the everyday live. They show for example pet exhibitons which seem very strange to some people here. But these shows are organized here, too.
Sometimes it appears as you cuddle your cats more than we do. I cannot appraise this as I have never been to the U.S. before, this is just what I can see on TV. Furthermore you must consider that the TV-reportage will never show the truth but strange impressions. I think that differs not from your TV.

I think it is sometimes another way of loving your cats.
e.g. here in Germany it is more common to have cats living in- and outdoors. As I can read in this forum in the U.S. it is more common to have indoor cats. This is obvious, because of all the dangerous animals outside which we do not have. Here in Germany the only danger are the vehicles.

I would never guess that Americans do not like their cats. Maybe just in an other way.
So, don't worry too much about that statement. I think it's a subjective opinion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have seen shows that place cats in a more negative light than dogs, however, these shows seem to be rare. I think that dogs are more to the public's understanding because of their sanguine nature -that is it is obvious to what they are thinking. Not everyone can enjoy the company of a cat(s), because it takes more understanding and being able to read more subtile indications of a cats personality and what they want than what can be shown on a TV program. In the few years of my being around cats, I believe that the learning process goes on and on, when it comes to learning about the nature of our beloved felines.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No, maybe we get the idea that you spoil your pets more (clothes, special furniture etc) and we often see obese american pets, at least in Sweden.

People in Sweden "knows" that there are many ferals in America and that many of your pets are obese. That's the picture that media shows except from these fancy cat shows and these special shops where you can buy your cat a DRESS! :?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Im from the uk and i wouldnt say ive seen any programs which show americans not keen on cats. Altho saying that most programs i have seen people always have a dog, or want a dog, but id say the same is or the uk tv too. In the UK it is definatly protrayed that americans spoil their pets rotten. Taking dogs to special pampering palours- buying rediculously over price brand name stuff for them. Have them go to a hairdresser every other day, and even get manacures....

But to be honest this is just the super rich people i expect, which have nothing better to do. I guess that every day normal people like you or me dont do such things, and there majority of people who treat their pets normal, not so extravagently are just not shown on tv.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I didn't think about it before, but I suppose it is kinda true.

Case in point the recent Simpsons were the cats kept dying. Although on the same page last year they had the cat the hero and the dog too afraid to rescue homer...

Maybe it's because cat's do whatever they want and dogs are so obedient.

I don't think a majority of Americans hate cats (or North Americans I shoudl say). Although offen in Europe, I suppose people may not have the room for a dog so cats are more popular.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts