Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy, the new cat, has been having a hard time trying to get Herbie and George to come around. We've had Buddy in the house with us since July 7th and started bringing him out into the rest of the house to try and get the 3 cats acclimated to each other as of about the 17th or 18th of the month.

Buddy's been out of his room since about noon today and he's been doing somewhat better. He finally has gotten to the point where he'll stand up for himself and say something to both G and H if they get too close to him. Today he actually made it so far as to walk out into our entryway, where we have 2 bar stools sitting in front of a screen door for the cats to sit and look outside.

Not only did he make it out there today, sneaking past Herbie and George while they were asleep, but he was brave enough to jump up to one of the stools and get the view of the outdoors himself. After about 5 minutes or so Herbie woke up and noticed Buddy was gone so he came out to the entryway, found him, and jumped up to the other stool right beside him.

My first thought was, "Oh no, what's gonna happen now?" But as soon as Herbie got up there Buddy growled and made it very clear to him that he wasn't going to take any of his stuff and Herbie actually backed off, relaxed and they both ended up sitting there looking out the window! You know how you can tell when a cat is tense or mad because every muscle in their body tightens up and their ears flatten. Eventually all of these signs went away on both of them. This lasted for 5-10 minutes until Buddy got anxious and felt he needed to move. Then Herbie did follow him but, once again, not a punch was thrown.

I am so proud of Buddy for finally getting gutsy enough to start moving around the house a little more and I'm proud of Herbie for starting to realize that Buddy needs to be respected, or at least left alone. :p I really think the fact that Buddy has shown himself to be less and less afraid is what's causing G and H back off. Maybe I'm totally wrong about that but it's my wishful thoughts anyway.

I got pics of the 2 of them sitting on the stools but my dumb digital camera went dead shortly after the pics were taken so I can't download them just yet. I will when the camera is charged up again.

I know that what happened this afternoon doesn't mean that all the tensions are over with but I think everybody is DEFINITELY breaking some ground here. Keep your fingers crossed that it continues to get better. :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Good for Buddy! I know you were a bit nervous, but you wrote such an interesting description that I think you were probably fascinated by it all. That is a real milestone. Sometimes there has to be a balance of power in kitty land before the peace treaties are signed, um, I mean pawed! :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Congratulations to Buddy and the family! That sure is a big step. You described it perfectly; I could see it happening.

*Fingers crossed* for continued success!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It seems to be a success story. No swats or punches. They sat close and pretty much kept to themselves. Hope things keep going well.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Congrats on that! Give me hope. I still hoping and working at my 2 cats to get acclimated to each other and its going on 2 months now. Ugh!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, Monday must have been a fluke because Tuesday and today things have been almost exactly like they were before. Neither Herbie or George are hurting Buddy but Herbie loves to stand post at his door and scare him right back under the bed. Poor guy! :(

I just keep thinking in the back of my mind that the vet and one of his techs have told me this could easily take 3 months and we barely have 1 month under our belts. Things will get better. I guess it's just going to have to be a waiting game.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Have you tried a drop of vanilla on the back of each cat's neck to give them all the same scent? That's important to cats. Have you been exchanging their bedding and using interactive toys? I hope they soon make permanent friendships. I think a beginning has been made, and it will happen again! :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, we tried the vanilla thing for days. That didn't work. We now have 3 Feliway plug-ins placed in strategic areas of the house. We can't tell if their working or not yet.

I'm sure all of this is just a matter of time and a lot of patience. Five weeks is quite early to be expecting them to be getting along great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts