Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Last week I saw that my Pixie (she's 11 months) had a little scab on her side, towards her tummy area and I assumed it was a scratch or something from our other cat Kitty, since recently Kitty has been a bit too rough while play fighting and has left a couple of scabs on Pixie's ear, which have healed now.

But today I noticed that the scab has gone, leaving a small roundish sore on her side and there's a bald patch around it.

Does anyone know what this could be? I searched it online and read about Ringworm, that it affects the ears, paws, face and tail areas....is it possible to have just one sore on her side?

Is there anything else that it could be? Maybe just a sore left from Kitty? Pixie has been eating fine, she's her normal hyper and happy self, cept she's been licking that area constantly.

If it doesn't improve within a couple of days, I'll make an appointment for her at the vets I think.

Thanks

Moopsey

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have no idea, so can't help you, but wanted to send my good wishes that whatever it is will heal quickly.

Completely off topic, but I have a Pixie too! Yippee for Pixies. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww your Pixie is adorable :D Here's a pic of mine...

She's sooo lovely and sweet!

And thanks, I hope it heals fast too. It's always so frustrating not knowing what something is and not being able to help!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
OMG OMG she's a calico too!! How ADORABLE is she?!
Thanks for sharing the pic. Do you have a pic of the sore?

Hopefully someone else will have suggestions for ya, or the vet when you take her in. I know exactly what you mean about frustration and not being able to help, I'm in the middle of dealing with Mozart being sick right after Ginza.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I just took a couple of pics of the sore...if anyone's seen anything like this, let me know!

Awww I hope Mozart gets better soon! All your cats look sweet :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
The sore could be the result of an absess from a bite, or it could be an allergic reaction to something Pixie got into, My Buck is going through something similar right now and the dr. says it is from the advantage that I put on him. He goes today for a cortisone shot to help him to stop licking all the hair off himself! Hope this helps out some for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, just trying to think now if Pixie has come into contact with anything that may have given her an allergic reaction!...if that's what it is! She's an indoor cat so there's not much around the house for her to hurt herself on etc.

Hope your Buck is better soon!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pixie is fine, still the same as before, the area looks kinda crusty, but with a bit more redness, she won't stop licking it though...I'll be taking her to the vets on Tuesday since it isn't open until then. I'll let you know what happens.

Hehe, she's busy rubbing herself against my foot now...awww!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like ringworm to me. Ive had a spell of it here and the vet gave us a cream as well as an anti-itch shot to help kitty. I have also read that lotrimin cream (from walmart) works, athletes foot is a type of ringworm. But this is not a vet's advice. Just me thinking (typing) outloud!

·
Registered
287 Posts
One of my cats went through the allergy thing a month or two ago. Brought her into the vet because she was constantly itching, meowing and licking. She was obviously not happy. The vet gave her a Depo shot (not the birth control, don't know what the full name is, that is just what she told me) for skin allergies, put her on Science Diet for Sensitive Skin and now she is happy as a kitten. And I know how A LOT of people hate Science Diet, but now that it is helping with her skin and has changed her coat and attitude, I swear by this food! Hope your kitty is back to feeling better soon!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took Pixie to the vets today, good news is it's nothing too serious. The vet checked her over thoroughly and said she has been in contact with fleas at some point since the marks on her are flea bites. She couldn't actually see any fleas on Pixie but gave some treatment for it anyway.

She said the reason it's all red and bald is that due to Pixie licking the area non-stop, she's caused damage to her own skin with her rough tongue! So she gave her a corticostoroid (sp?!) injection to stop the itching, and if that doesn't stop her from licking it, she'll be given one of those collar things to stop the licking!

So Pixie was given the treatment for fleas, as well as some for Kitty and for our dog Caspy too! Also we got some spray for around the house! Hopefully this should sort things out!

My poor baby! I was so proud of her today, she was such a good girl :D and all the people on the bus loved her! haha! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to let you'll know...the sore on Pixie has gone completely and the hair is growing back! Wow just after a couple of days on the treatment! :D

Thanks everyone for your advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.