Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me. Since I last posted, my dear little Lily has passed away due to being hit by a car. :( We have since adopted 2 kittens, Bella and Ferdy, who are inside cats this time round. They do however go out in the garden on leads. They are about 14 weeks old now and fully vaccinated, wormed, desexed etc. Anyway despite a bout of cat flu they are fine. Ferdy (the boy) has developed two small sores on his lips. They're easy to spot because they're pink and he has black lips. They don't seem to bother him and don't seem to cause him any pain if you press on them. The first one he has had for a few weeks and I didn't do anything because I thought he may have cut it on something or whatever, but now there are two of them :? ... any ideas? They are teething atm, would that have anything to do with it? Bella doesn't have any sores as yet. I will take him to the vet but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi Lilykins.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That must've been terrible to go through. :(

Congratulations on your new additions. I'm so glad you decided to make them indoor kitties.

A while back, another member had issues with one of her cats having feline acne. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3711. It even includes pictures! Hopefully that will answer some of your questions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Annissa- you might be right. They eat from plastic bowls so I should change them to ceramic ones if it's acne. However Ferdy's sores are on the inside of his lips and not on his fur. Is that still cat acne?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This could be a lot of things, it really needs a trip to the vet to sort it out. One of the more common causes is "rodent ulcers" or feline eosinophilic granuloma complex (aren't you glad you asked?). This is an autoimmune disease, so moderation and support of the immune system are key. If your vet determines that's what it is, 've had good luck treating it with extra Vitamin E in the food (200-400 IU/day), and also with BioSuperfood. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... uperhealth

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- he's going to the vet on Monday and hopefully we can sort it out. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drjean- I think the labial ulcer is what he has (I read a little more about it). It says it can possibly be immunosuppression secondary to feline leukaemia. He hasn't been vaccinated against this. We think he is a flu carrier (he gave cat flu to out other kitten). There's nothing else wrong with him but I am so scared anyway (the internet is a curse sometimes). Someone tell me I am being silly, please. :?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Labial ulcer (it means 'lip ulcer', like you didn't know where it was!)--that's just another name for rodent ulcer/Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex.

As I said, it is an immune-mediated disease, but not necessarily because the cat is immuno-suppressed like with FeLV or FIV. In fact, it's due to an *over-reactive* immune system.

If your cat hasn't been tested for FeLV/FIV, that's probably a good idea, but if he is an indoor cat, I wouldn't recommend vaccinating him. In my experience, vaccination often causes or triggers these ulcers to come up.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dr Jean- I feel a little better after some sleep. (I did know they were all the same hting but decided to pick the shortest name to post!! :lol: ) He is an indoor cat, he goes outside a few times a day, but under supervision. We are going to the vet on Monday so I will post back with the good or bad news then. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so we went to the vet this morning- she thinks that it may be immunosuppression to having had cat flu as a young kitten, before I got him (he did give cat flu to Bella almost as soon as we got him), apparently this sort of thing is a common cause of the ulcers. He is on VibraVet antibiotics for 2 weeks because he's too young to have cortisone so I've got to see if they clear up or not with that, if they don't it's back to the vet. FeLV is really rare in Australia so I am hoping it doesn't turn out to be that... anyway we'll see how the little bugger goes. :D

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Im sorry about your dear kitty that passed away. I'm happy to hear that you're going to keep these 2 inside. Whatever it is that your cat has, maybe it will help to keep an e-collar on him so he doesn't scratch or irritate those 2 spots any more with his back claws. Good luck :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts