Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry! I know I've asked a million and one questions but I'm really not sure what to do here.
Pixie is our new kitten, she's 21 weeks and she's fantastic - except for at night. Until last night she spent her first 3 weeks with us in her own room at night, it was her isolation room and the room we put her in to keep her safe (mostly because she's not careful on the stairs) during the day.

Every morning when it started to get bright, maybe 6am, she started meowing and trying to climb up the door of her room, this is really loud and did keep us awake. We figures she was lonely as she came from a sanctuary where she had 3 kittens for company.

So last night we decided it was time for her to spend the night in the with the boys, they sleep in the kitchen and dining room, the kitchen door that leads to the rest of the house (and us) is closed and the boys are fine with that (Timmy gets confused if he's not 'put to bed' at night and ends up wandering the house and meowing, Gordon gets lonely without Timmy so it works well)

At 4am this morning we were woken by the sound of Pixie climbing the door in the kitchen, this door is much louder for some reason. She jumping up the door and falling off every minute or so for an hour. She stopped for an hour and then started again. It went on like this til 7.30am.

I really thought her being in with the boys, who she loves, would make he less inclined to want to get out of the room but it seemed to make her worse. Does anyone know what I could try? We're losing a lot of sleep and we're anxious for Pixie to be happy
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Cats are most active at dusk and dawn, so 4-7am is Pixie's "play time". Unless she has the whole house to run, it doesn't really matter which room you put her in. She will always want to go to the rooms that she cannot (yeah, exploration is so fun).

Give her plenty of toys that she likes, and rotate them from time to time or else she will lose interest. Any buy yourselves ear plugs. Good luck :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I can sympathise with you. Evie is two years old and gets up ever morning by 5am. Sometimes it's 2/3/4am. She used to have the run of the upstairs and stairway of our house, we recently moved to an apartment where she gets the run of all areas but for the living room (she terrorises our hamsters), so she has plenty of 'exploratory territory'. We have a second cat too, so she isn't lonely. I've come to the conclusion that she's just an early rise. Which would be fine, if she didn't meow at the top of her lungs 'til I get up. She doesn't even stop if my OH gets up. It HAS to be me!

·
Banned
154 Posts
Ha - Mimi is approximately 10 years old and she wakes me up with head butts every morning - sometime between 2 and 4. I LOVE it and wouldn't change it for anything. Yes, I suffer from lack of sleep, but it's a comforting feeling knowing that she loves me :wink

·
Registered
365 Posts
while your cat is still a kitten, i suggest you figure out a way to dull the noise, but with most adult cats; you can train them to leave you alone if you want .. (unlike Princessbear who LIKES it) if my cats bug me too early, i push them off the bed!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Someone on here suggested (Marie I think?) a vacuum cleaner. Have the vacuum turned on but unplugged and have the plug nearest your bed. When she starts climbing/crying/being a pain just plug it in for a second and fire up the vacuum for a few seconds and then unplug it.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Mimitabby - As of this morning, it's actually getting OLD. I love it and am exhausted and want her to stop but don't want to push her off the bed because I'm afraid she'll think I don't want her up there at all - plus she is looking for comfort more than anything right now, I think - I've completely changed her diet (removing dry food and she is on a duck-only diet while we figure out what food she is allergic to), she had 3 teeth pulled last week - so I'm hoping it is just because she is still healing and a little out of sorts with the diet change - she didn't do it the first 3 weeks she was with me, so I'm hoping she'll go back to just sleeping with me and headbutting once the alarm goes off...

MowMow - that wouldn't work for my Mimi - she is the first cat I've every had that is not scared of the vacuum!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooh, there are some great ideas there, thanks guys! I particularly like the vacuum idea. She's not been as bat at all the last few nights but she does have her moments still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts