Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yorkie puppy Penny was spayed on 8/12 and recovered. Yesterday, my bf took her in to get her ears cleaned. She didn't have any problems.

Tonight after her bath, I noticed a wound almost like a boil on her spay incision. There has been one stitch we were watching b/c it seemed to slightly poke out or something (but they weren't the type we needed to have removed).

It doesn't seem to bother her, and it is not hot to the touch.

Is this something that will heal, should we watch and see, or does she need another trip to the vet?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
This reminds me of what happened to me after my surgery and because you suspected an issue with the stitches, I'll tell you what happened.

I had my gallbladder removed last year and had this small bump at the end of one of my incisions. It didn't hurt at all and I was lazy and didn't go back to the doctor like i should have. My stitches were dissolvable too. I kind of just assumed it was part of the scar, even though it really bothered me deep down (in my head).

Anyway, about 2 months later I was in the shower and noticed blood drippng down my stomach. I looked and saw this thing poking out from my "scar". It was a piece of stitch...when I pulled it out, it was over an inch long...it had been all balled up in there that whole time.
Was that too gross? Sorry if it was. Anyway, you should obviously wait for Dr. Jean to respond, but it reminds me of my little own experience!

·
Registered
983 Posts
AddFran said:
This reminds me of what happened to me after my surgery and because you suspected an issue with the stitches, I'll tell you what happened.

I had my gallbladder removed last year and had this small bump at the end of one of my incisions. It didn't hurt at all and I was lazy and didn't go back to the doctor like i should have. My stitches were dissolvable too. I kind of just assumed it was part of the scar, even though it really bothered me deep down (in my head).

Anyway, about 2 months later I was in the shower and noticed blood drippng down my stomach. I looked and saw this thing poking out from my "scar". It was a piece of stitch...when I pulled it out, it was over an inch long...it had been all balled up in there that whole time.
Was that too gross? Sorry if it was. Anyway, you should obviously wait for Dr. Jean to respond, but it reminds me of my little own experience!
OH wow! I'd freak out.. did you just pull it without going to the doctor? I think i'll faint now :eek: :wink:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, we haven't pulled on it or anything. The stitch (that's what we assume it is) barely raises above the skin. You don't really notice it unless you are looking for it or if you lightly run your finger over it. I've just been keeping an eye on it just in case.

This bump just appeared out of nowhere, in one day's time. She doesn't mind if I mess with it (just to check it).

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Mine was flat and then appeared out of nowhere too, but then it was there for a long while before it came out. Rarepuss, yeah, I just pulled it out and didn't go to the doctor, but had my final follow up appt. about 2 weeks later and they said that everything looked okay. (thank goodness)

You should take her to the vet, just to be safe. Since it has to do with the spay wound, they *may* not even charge you for it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
AddFran,

The same thing happened to me last year when I broke my leg and had to have surgery. At first, it looked like a gross zit right on the scar, then I realized a tiny bit of the stitch was sticking out. I went back to the doctor, he trimmed it, then just put a band-aid over it. It was really gross and to this day, that spot on my scar is a little worse than the rest of it.....

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
You know what, I CAN still see where it was too. It is a little darker and a little more "scar-like" in appearance, the other areas have healed to a degree that is less noticable!

Isn't that strange?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bf is home from work for the day, so I told him what everyone here said, and he is going to call our vet and discuss it with them. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is taking her in for her appt (in 5 min). They said there would be no charge since it's related to the surgery, unless she would need medications or such.

Her opinion over the phone what that it is an infection related to the sutures. (duh! LOL) :)

I'm glad he is able to get her in right away. It'll make me feel better.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet drained the sore (which I thought about doing last night, but decided against it. I didn't know how deep the infection went. I would do it to myself, but not to my baby! LOL). She also gave us an antibiotic for Penny and said she'll be fine.

:) Thanks to all for the info & feedback.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Glad to hear it!

Yeah, that was a brilliant diagnosis....didn't you pretty much tell them what it was over the phone! Hee, hee. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts