Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samson and Delilah have their appointment to be spayed and neutered tomorrow morning.

On one hand I am looking foward to the time at home with out having to keep one eye on them. I need to kitten-proof the upstairs portion of the house (right now it's closed off).

But I am also a little nervous for them. Mostly the fact that I have to hand them over for a full 24 hours to somebody else. :(

They told me yesterday when I confirmed the appointment that I have to make sure they don't lick at the incision site and to keep them calm for 7-10 days....

They are together when I am at work, and while I know they sleep a good portion of that I also know that they play alot when I'm gone - wrestling and chasing each other being their favorite.

How in the world do you keep two 3 month old kittens calm for a whole week?

I don't want to have to seperate them that long.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
I'm sure it's not the "norm," but Cali and Charlee were spayed at almost 10 weeks old, went home that day and had to be rehomed that evening to a new foster home (one of the foster's cats got sick). Their new home was full of cats and dogs and they had free run of the house. I picked them up a day later and brought them home, and they were running around like maniacs up and down the cat tree and everywhere else. It didn't affect them for one single moment.

I think neutering is more involved, though.

They'll be fine. Supposedly, the younger they are, the quicker they recover. :patback

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
No-no...spaying is more involved than neutering. Spaying, the vet has to go inside the abdominal cavity and fish around to locate the reproductive organs, neutering the vet takes care of everything from the outside of the cat's abdominal cavity.
You can ask your vet for E-collars, and/or specifically for a SOFT or FABRIC E-collar instead of the stiff plastic cone.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
That explains the rejection of my application to vet school. :oops:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I feel your pain.

Gadget was spayed on Monday. She is DRIVING ME CRAZY. Yes, my vet said to keep her quiet, and I also do not understand how this is possible. I was told to prevent her from jumping, so I've been locking her up in the closet/nursery when I can't watch her (vet approved), but this doesn't keep her from jumping... instead of jumping off the back of the couch she simply jumps at the closet door. I really don't know anything about this type of thing--it's the first cat I've ever had to spay. I do, however, understand what an ovariohysterectomy is. 8O It's pretty major surgery.

The vet also told me that she would probably not need an e-collar, that almost no cats bite at the incision, blah blah blah. Of course, the first thing my little princess does when we get her home is start ripping at the incision :fust . Sooooo now she is stuck in the torture device that is called "e-collar", and for the past two days I have been to every pet store on the east side looking for a cloth one. I call, ask if they sell them, they say "yes", I arrive and discover that in fact they do not :x .

Ummm, apparently I really needed to vent about that :roll: . Sorry, lol. Anyways, I am keeping the cats separated when I can't supervise, because they wrestle. Gadget isn't happy about it, but I'd rather her be upset for a couple weeks than pop a stitch. If I had a hysterectomy I would not be wrestling shortly after 8O Neuter surgery, by contrast, sounds relatively minor (maybe being female makes me biased, lol). If I were you I would keep them separated for at least a week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ogdred, I am in your shoes now.

Samson and Delilah came home yesterday morning. Samson couldn't have cared less than anything had happened to him and immediately started playing, trying to climb me and wrestle with my feet.

Delilah on the other hand is crying constantly. She was licking her incision so she is now in a e-collar (after 3 attempts to get it on her and NOT have her slip out of it). I had her in a bathroom to start with because I thought it was safer. She is constantly crawling on me, pacing, jumping and crying. The vet said they have to stay separated, but that she'll do better if un-confined because it is stressing her out. So, I've moved them to bigger rooms each and will swap them out each day for until they can be together again.

I will be so glad when this week is over!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The time does go by faster than you expect. Just make sure that those e-collars are on good! I finally found an overpriced cloth one for Gadget. Big mistake... last night she managed to get it off and she ripped off all of the surgical glue on her incision 8O :fust .

Does anyone want a little gray cat? Seriously. Free to good home. Wait, scratch that... I'll pay you to take her.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ogdred said:
The time does go by faster than you expect. Just make sure that those e-collars are on good!
That's exactly why it took 3 tries to get it on her. She slipped out of it twice! But she finally has it on and it's staying on. Also, her incision looked so much better today. She looks funny in the E-collar and she bumps into everything. But I see that it was worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
salsachick said:
Samson and Delilah have their appointment to be spayed and neutered tomorrow morning. .
Ruby is scheduled to go in for spaying tomorrow morning as well. Our vet gave us a couple of Valium pills - we are supposed to give her 1/4 tablet to calm her down before we even go there - mainly to make it easier for us to catch her, and so she doesn't start out the day all stressed out.

Our plan is to grind up the 1/4 pill, and grind up a cat treat or two and mix them together. She has eaten powdered cat treats in the past, so hopefully the Valium flavor won't put her off very much. We will see how that goes - Ruby has a mind of her own sometimes, and she may just refuse to eat the thing.

We will get her back again on Wed, as I recall. We have a few more Valium pills, so if we need to calm her again, I suppose we can give it another shot. I guess it depends on how she is acting when we get her back.

Edit: The Valium in the ground up cat treats didn't work - she didn't like the smell, I guess. We added some to a small amount of cat food, and that worked a little better, but she still had some spunk when it came time to catch her and get her to the vet. The vet called an hour or so ago, and said she came out of surgery fine - the bad news is that we need to take her back one more time to have the stitches taken out :cry: . The problem is that after each trip to the vet there is a loss of trust and if she thinks something is up, she will try and hide when we come for her...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts