Cat Forum banner

Spay-time for Kota/ Questions

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  surge 
#1 ·
Kota is showing signs of being in heat so I am taking her to get spayed very soon. I want to do it on a Friday so I can be with her on the weekend. She looks so pitiful rubbing herself all over the floor and wanting to be loved on. Stix just stares at her like "what's your problem??" (he's neutered.)

Anyway, I have never had a female cat before but I wanted to know more about the spay process and couldnt find a thread with these answers.

What do most vets use as far as anesthetics? Gas or injections? Which is better?

Also, she is due for a few more shots ( the last set of kitten shots and then rabies), should I get those done before the spay, with the spay, or does it even matter?

And finally since she is wanting to be petted and loved on right now, is it okay for me to do that? Or will she become more, uh....frustrated? :lol:

#2 ·
umm im a cat newbie, but i noticed that my cat (female) has just started doing that as well.... she lays on the floor rolling around n stuff, she started doing it a day or 2 ago... and shes been pissin all over the house too... so does my cat have the same problem? even tho shes only 1 year old...

#3 ·
Jonsgirl, we spayed our two females about 3 months ago. I'm sure there should be some time between vaccination and the spaying. How old is Kota now? I remember our cats had the last set of vaccination and then, after few weeks (I don't remember exactly how many weeks - I think 2-3 weeks) we had them spayed - at the age of 5 and half month.

You should make sure that gas anesthesia is used - isoflurane or sevoflurane.
Some vets use ketamine but sometimes it can influence cat personality because it is a hallucinogen. That's the reason it's not recommended. You should ask the vet what they are using. I would also find out who will be doing the surgery. We chose a different vet for the spaying because our previous vet kind of told us that the vet's assistant would do it - not the vet herself. That made me feel uncomfortable and we went to a different vet.

They should also do the full examination of the cat before the surgery.

We left our cat at the vet over night. When we took them home they seemed to be quite dizzy. They were sleeping most of the time. The vet told us to keep them out of exercising - basically they should be resting after the surgery.

Here are some threads I posted:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4820&highlight=
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4727&highlight=
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4636&highlight=

I remember there were some good threads about the anesthetics, etc but I can't find it. :(

#6 ·
Surge, female cats can go into heat as early as 5 months of age. If your cat is one year old and you are not a breeder I would suggest that you spay her as soon as possible.

Kota is about 7 - 8 months and would have been spayed earlier but she had been on antibiotics for a UTI and a bladder stone so the vet suggested that I wait to see if the stone was being dissolved with her special diet. Now that we know she wont have to have surgery to remove her stone, she only has to go through one surgery- the spaying.

Thank you for the information and the links sentimentalgirl!!!! Very helpful 8)

#9 ·
surge, yes this means you have to get the cat spayed. Otherwise, your cat will manage to get outside and you are guarenteed to wind up with kittens. There are so many unwanted cats and kittens that have to be euthanized everyday because of overpopulation. Please get your kitty spayed. Spaying is basically the removal of the cat's reproductive organs so that she isn't able to have babies.

#10 ·
**Edit - ^^^^ didn't mean to repeat your answer, by the time I hit submit you had already posted. 8) **

No but if she were ever to get out (assuming she is an indoor-only cat) you dont wan't her to have kittens do you?

It only takes a few minutes for her to come back pregnant. Then less than 3 months later you can have more than four extra mouths to feed and the cycle starts all over again. There are already enough homeless animals in this world. Accidents do happen and most people are responsible and make sure the kittens find good homes.....but right now you are in a position where you can prevent this from happening.

Spaying is beneficial to your cat's health as well. Here is a link you may find helpful.

http://www.vospca.org/archive/spayneut.html

#11 ·
how much will this spaying cost me? like a decent price from a good place... and yea i think this is the reason my cat wants to be outside 24/7... she even sleeps outside now, just tell me how much it will cost me... and i read the stuff on the website... and this is the third time my cat has been in heat, cuz u know it stops and comes back... so yea im gonna talk to my vet, it wont hurt her will it? or maker her sad?

#12 ·
Spaying will actually make your kitty happier overall because she won't have to deal with all the hormones. Spayed cats are much less likely to get mammary and reproductive cancers. She will be a bit sore for the first few days, but will soon be back to her old self. I'm not sure how much it costs in your area, but you could call around to vets in your area and find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.