Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had Ginger for a couple of years, and she was spayed before I got her. I just moved in with my fiancee, who has two neutered male cats. They've gone through the usual angst in moving in with each other, lots of hissing and role-challenging, and they've moved on to playing/fighting with each other.

The past couple of days, Ginger has been howling at the door and trying to get outside harder than usual. She's always wanted to go outside, but I've never let her for the usual reasons. She would usually sit at the window, or paw at the glass when I would go outside. She would sometimes try to slip out the door, but not too often. Her desire to get outside has basically never been this intense before. The next door neighbor has tons of cats that are inside/outside - at least a dozen, and I'm sure they are not spayed/neutered.

Other than her howling and desperation to get outside, I don't see any other signs of her going into heat - none of the neighbor cats hanging out close outside (although they may hide under the trailer, I do have a dog I bring out frequently), raising her tail up in the hair, rolling all over stuff.

I've been living with my fiancee and his animals for a little over a month, and as I said, I've had her for two years or so. Could this be a phantom heat cycle spurred on by the close proximity of two male cats?

Obligatory pictures - one cute one, one of her doing the freaky stand up on hind legs thing.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The picture of Ginger standing is just too cute! I'm not sure about the heat thing - it is possible for a spayed cat to go into heat if they missed something - but I would think she would show other heat symptoms as well lke the rolling on floor etc. If she was in heat she would be rolling in front of the males also even if they are fixed. My Satin went through this, she wouldn't leave poor Tuffy alone for anything and he was fixed. Good luck - maybe she just wants outside?

·
Banned
20 Posts
Seems like she would really like to go outside!

Aside from that, are there any problems in the house (asbestos, carbon monoxide, pesticides, etc.)? Cats are pretty good at alerting their people to those kinds of things. You might want to check the house over!

If she has never lived with other cats before, it is likely that she is upset with how the territory is laid out between the three of them and she might need a room or special space to call "her own".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we had the exterminator in last week - this behavior started at least several days after that, though. She just sounds so pathetic, like we're the worst owners ever for keeping her indoors. I'm going to look into harness training her and see how that goes - it's pretty easy to catch her the few times she has run outside, but with the neighbors cats she could get her ass kicked (she's not a big fan of other cats in general).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts