Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi it's new girl Kim again with another question...

I've been doing some reading and saw that you can't always tell if a female has been spayed because there might not be a scar. Well I have this cat (Phoebe)the humane society estimates to be about 11 mos. They said she was not spayed. They also tols me (after I got her home) that she came in with a male cat and could be pregnant but they didn't see anything. Well she doesn't look pg to me and I made an appt for her Tues. morning. Anywhoo, yesterday I adopted George, a 7month old (gorgeous) himalayan and I am keeping them separated because he too is unaltered. Well one of my husbands idiot friends opened the door to where Phoebe was and the cats got to meet @@$$

Well, nothing happened. I'm not sure if something should have happened that soon but Phoebe has zero interest in George other than to try out his food, lol! I separated them again right away.

How soon after two unaltered animals meet will they 'do the deed'? Also I heard that just being around the male could send her into heat...anyone heard this? And last but not least...is there a way to tell if she's been altered before initiating AND paying for surgery again?

Thanks and Happy Mother's Day to all!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Please keep them separated until the neutering you mentioned was coming up. (Tues., I believe.) Females will come in heat often, as often as every few weeks. Then the heat lasts about 10 days. Don't take chances, please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not taking chances. I'm trying to take the responsibility that those before me didn't. What happened this morning was beyond my control.

My question was is there a way for the vet to ensure she hasn't had the procedure done before they cut her open. I've read that there is really no way to be sure unless they used the sutures that show up on xray and was wondering if that was the case.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sutures won't show up on xrays unless they're steel, and very few vets use steel any more.

Usually you will know if a female is in heat by her behavior--yowling, rolling, being *extra-special* friendly, waving her butt in the air. She mustn't have been in heat when she met the male, but it's spring and chances are she will come into heat shortly. Do be cautious!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I haven't seen her go into heat yet and to be honest I'm scared that she was already pg when I brought her home. Guess they'll be able to tell me something tomorrow...I sure hope she's not! And If not I hope they can tell if she's been spayed before they operate somehow. I'll keep y'all posted :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I certainly hope the vet x-rayed her before spaying. I can't imagine a vet just cutting without making sure. You're the owner, and of course, they would be your kittens.

Any news?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, good news :)

Phoebe had the appointment but they took George as a walk~in so they both got fixed at the same time. She definitely wasn't pregnant...she went in heat the night before (and that cost me an extra $10! LOL).

Everyone is doing well. Phoebe is not eating as much as George but she seems like she's feels ok, just tired.

Thanks for asking!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts