Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How soon after a cat delivers kittens prematurely will she go into heat again?

And, how soon after a birth can a cat be spayed?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the female will go back into heat about eight weeks after birth, maybe sooner or later. I don't think her giving birth prematurely affects when the mother goes into heat again. It is best to wait to spay her after the kittens are weaned.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. At least I know I have a little bit of time. I don't have to worry about weaning, the kittens were premature and deceased.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm so sorry! The female will go back into heat like two or three days after the kittens die. I'm not sure about when you can spay her.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 or 3 DAYS? or did you mean weeks? Its been 3 days and she's the same.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I meant days. My female had kittens in August, but they all died. It was maybe five days after when she went back into heat, I'm not sure. It may be longer for some females. But from what I have gathered it's not very long before she goes into heat again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a local clinic that does spay & neuter for reduced prices and they were able to give me an appointment in early December. The lady said that since the birth had been very recent she may still be storing up milk and its best to wait till that goes down before doing the surgery. But she said that was the first available appointment.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's good. After my female's kittens died, she was producing a lot of milk. It seemed to hurt her, but after about two weeks she had stopped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts