Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my kitty spayed this past Tuesday. She is recovering very well and seems to be in no pain. My only concern is that the area right under her incision sight feels sort of hard, like a knot. It is not swollen, red, or draining fluid. It has been that way since we brought her home, so it's probably nothing. I plan on calling the vet first thing in the morning, but wanted to ask just to ease my mind until then. Does this sound normal? It has been a while since my other cat was spayed so I don't remember. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are probably right...the stitches are the dissolving internal kind, so that would make sense!

·
Registered
99 Posts
It actually could be a reaction to the sutures which is fairly common. I would still call your vet and let them know. They may want to see her to make sure that that's all it is.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The swelling from the incision and reaction to the sutures takes a week or so to reach its peak. It typically feels like a small sausage under the skin. If no redness, heat, pain, or discharge, probably normal. But from a vet's viewpoint, when people had any concerns at all, I would just have them run the cat by for me to take a quick look--just to make sure. I think only once in 10 years did the cat actually have an infection, but better safe than sorry!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts