Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a bit worried with how the spaying operation goes... is recovery easy?
Do you have to discourage jumping? Healing time? Etc

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
recovery depends on the cat. but generally.. I found most females are sleepy the first day home, have a bit of a rough meow, and a delicate tummy for eating. but are up and running in about 3 days. I personally have never had to use a cone on any of my fosters and haven't seen any pull out stitches when they were used. Just keep an eye for redness or irritation, some cats will clean the area but not really over groom. Again it depends on the cat. I also have never had issues with over jumping, the few that insisted just did little hops to get on furniture.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It also depends on the age of the cat. I had my kitten spayed at 6 months and she was walking around and eating small meals the same day we brought her home. By the next day, she was jumping and playing with the other cats, but would take more breaks in between play sessions and her appetite was back to normal.

Cats spayed when they are older may take slightly longer to recover.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
When Fay came home from an especially tough re-Spaying she was still drugged up and amd a jump I didn't think she could make. She didn't. Boom, back to the floor but no damage was done. The next day I couldn't tell she'd had a procedure. They recover very quickly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes she is 14 months... and still kitten crazy! I am paranoid with the possiblity of the stitches coming out. I have heard that staples may be used, but it depends on the vet...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've never heard vet using staples for spay. It's usually with stitches, and many vets use resolvable stitches that will be absorbed by the body over time.

Healing time is quite fast. I got both my girls spayed at 6 1/2 month old. The vet kept them for half day after operation. The first day when Metoo came home, she didn't look in good shape because of the anesthesia. She slept the whole day, but then bounce back the next day. Meatball doesn't even have that one "down" day. The wound will fully heal after about 10 days if well taken cared of.

Don't worry too much, your girl will be fine. Just make sure the wound doesn't get wet/dirty (you can use iodine alchole to gently wipe the wound for the first couple of days). My vet encourages my cats to be active after surgery, so the internal organs won't "stick". Cat skin are very elastive, so jumping/running won't damage the stitches. But if you have another cat at home, do keep an eye on them and avoid rough playing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
my 8 month old was spayed about a month ago .
The first night home she was very wobbly and could not jump and did not have her witts about her .
The next 2 days she did alot of sleeping . By the third or fourth day you could see she was feeling better and by the end of the week she was pretty much back to normal .
She did bite out one of her stitches but the wound healed very quickly and no damage was done that I know of .
I would just keep an eye on her the first night . Try not to let her jump cuz she may lose her balance and fall the wrong way . I felt so bad when i saw her try to jump on a chair but fell down . But that will wear off by morning .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts