Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was attempting to have my cat spayed last weekend but unfortunately it didn't work out.

We were directed the Humane Society cause they do a good job at 1/2 the price (we are not well off right now). But, it didn't work out for last weekend.

They are booked up for a month or so, so my question is, my cat is 8 months old, is it ok to spay her at 9 months?

Basically, she turned 8 months a few days ago, when she is abot 9 months is it ok to spay her? What about factoring in her going into heat possibly? (which she hasn't yet)

We will shell out the $$$ and go to a vet here in Philadelphia if needs be.

THANKS!

·
Registered
11 Posts
spaying

Cats go into heat at different times, typically between 8 and 12 months. Some cats earlier, some cats later. It's difficult to tell. It is important that she be spayed prior to her first heat. I would get it done as soon as possible to avoid any complications and messy heat cycles.

Just my two cents.

Ariane

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If she stays indoor, and has no contact with male cats you should be ok until you can get an appointment. It is garunteed that if she escapes while she is in heat she will come back impreganated, and there are enough homless kitties as it is :\

When you do get to appoinment thru it is better if she is not in heat, because of the way hormones are it has a higher risk factor, and vets prefer not to do it when they are in heat unless absolutly necessery. It can also be a mesier procuedure if she is pregnant too.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to spay her later on. Personally I never have my cats spayed before they are fully grown. Of course I don't allow them to meet any gentlemen until they are spayed. My moggie-girl was spayed at the age of 14 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts