Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spaz loves the laser pointer..she knows it comes from the pen in daddy's hand, she knows she can't catch it, but she also knows if she hangs around daddy long enough looking sad and looking from him to the place he keeps the pen, she gets to play with the red dot.

The last few nights though..she's gotten obsessive about it. She wants to play with it ALL the time..when she's not playing with it, she's sulking around, looking everywhere the red dot usually goes, then looking back at daddy as if to say "find it for me!".

My question is....should we give in and play with her with it any time she wants (this would end up being MANY hours of every day) or should we try to break her of it and only bring it out once a night? She'll still play with other toys, but this is her favorite!

Maybe she just needs the extra play...she's just over 6 yrs old but still thinks she's a kitten and will play just as long and hard as a kitten.

Last night when I got home from work, she literally played for 4 hours straight with the red dot (with occassional 5 minute breaks). When we get up in the morning, the first thing she wants is the red dot.

Am I just being overly concerned about this "obsession" she has with it??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hm, I would probably give the laser pen a rest and introduce different toys. At least until she's weened off having to play with it all the time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A similar thing happened with my cat, Pfeffa, and the toy "Cat Charmer". She loved it. She'd carry it around with her in her mouth with the wand and the long fleece streamer dragging behind her (often between her legs - making her walk very odd), I'd find it next to me in bed in the morning, and she'd cry and cry and cry for it anytime I put it away - looking at me, crying, wandering around sadly, crying...

She was obsessed.

I didn't think it wasn't healthy for a cat to be so centered on something - so she had to break the habit cold turkey. I didn't take it out for over a year at least.

Now, when I take it out - she recognizes it immediately and still loves it and is a little sad when it goes away - but only temporarily (maybe twenty minutes). It has actually worked very well as a quick distraction after medicine or other unpleasant things...it's her reward, loved more than treats.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was afraid of...poor Spaz is going to be miserable! :) At least she still plays with other toys, so we'll just have to increase the playtime with the other ones (her 2nd favorite is the one on her head in the pic to the left). Now to train my bf to stop giving in to her....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts