Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read and get amazed people!
BTW: Otago is a county in New Zealand, south island.
I got my Modra from the SPCA; she used to be a stray in my yard and neighbour's and when the neighbour discovered she had kittens he trapped her and put her to the SPCA along with the kittens. I found another of her babies in my yard and took it to the SPCA to reunite the family. Having done so I told the SPCA that I wanted that kitten when he was ready for adoption and that I'll try to find a place for his mom as well, perhaps adopt her too. The SPCA staff told me: no worries, when they will be ready for adoption, we will give you a call.
Time passed, the kittens grew up, I visited them all many times. Eventually they got separated from the mother and spayed, then put for adoption. Trouble was this thing happened after the winter holidays and I had a big web design project to complete in that period, so I couldn't go visit. I haven't received any call from the SPCA, so after I got a bit more relaxed with my job, I went to visit again. Surprise, surprise, the kitten I wanted was gone, "how convenient" they told me, "someone adopted him the day before" (yeah, right!) and the mother looked starved and frankly so depressed that I immediately got concerned. How was she supposed to feel anyway, after all she was kept in an 18sqm room with another 15 cats and 2 litter boxes! She didn't really eat and she was always hiding under blankets. So I adopted the mother on the spot and after signing all the papers they tell me: oh, btw she wasn't vaccined, she is due in 2 days; please arrange with your local vet and we will pay for it. Great, I'm taking her home and in 2 days I stress her again by going to the vet, but whatever, better than to stay at the SPCA. Once she got home she started to feel better, she begun eating although she puked a few times and in general her stamina got better, she revealed her true personality. I took her to the vet a week later, I didn't want to stress her after only 2 days of freedom. Anyway, 2 months later I get an invoice from the vet asking me to pay for the vaccine and I'm sure the vet called the SPCA just as I instructed her. I got so angry that you'd not believe, so I went straight to the SPCA asking for explanations. First they denied having said that they would pay for it, then when I raised my voice they looked again in her medical book and said they would pay.
I was really keen to make some donations there, but after seeing how they treat people who actually care, I changed my mind and instead I want the world to know how they do things around here.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Didn't they keep files of all this information?
The rescue group I work with is a little independent one, with only 3 supervisors... we have 3 LARGE file boxes (all full, so we need to get another one soon) AND a computer dedicated to only keeping a database of the animals before & after adoption. All papers are signed by adopters and at least 1 supervisor, paperwork is carbon-copied or xeroxed. This is mostly for our sake to keep track of people who adopt because THEY are the ones that do the lying a lot of the time :/
For instance, one lady wanted to foster a dog for a couple weeks.... never heard from her, and now six months later she suddenly wants to get rid of the dog because it's spraying/marking... well, if she had done what we asked, it would have been neutered (at no charge to her!) in those first two weeks. Bleh!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I personally feel that it is the responsibility of any adoption agency to ensure that all of their animals that are adopted out should be wormed, de-flea'ed, vaccinated, given a physical by a veterinarian, and spayed/neutered. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here and say that they had given your kitty her first round of shots and were waiting for the proper amount of time to pass so she could get her boosters. Fair enough. However, working under the premise that I just mentioned it would then be the responsibility of the shelter to either 1) Not allow her to be available for adoption until after she received her boosters or 2) cover the cost of her boosters. The exception to this would be kittens. If a shelter is going to adopt them out before all of these things can happen then I feel that the shelter should send a spay/neuter certificate and cover the boosters in the future. I would, however, require some sort of deposit to be placed on the spay/neuter certificate to be refunded when the cat is fixed. The shelter here didn't require it before and people weren't honoring the certificate and then trying to return the pets after they got pregnant or starting tom-ing around.

I'm sorry that somehow they miscommunicated amongst each other and caused a problem. I agree that you were wronged. That being said I would encourage you to not spread bad news about the place. I say that only because when you do then the animals pay because people won't go there to look at them. Then they either sit in the shelter forever or are euthenized. It happened to a place here. They weren't the friendliest and were scattered and inconsistent like the place you were. People have for almost a decade now purposefully refused to adopt from them. Their euthenizations have doubled. I would write a letter or ask to speak to the highest person in charge you can find expressing your concerns. It is possible that you aren't the only one that has complained and this will be the final straw to getting certain individuals straightened out. If it is volunteers you dealt with then their coordinator would need to address them either for committing the organization to something that is against policy or for blowing you off and not looking into your matter. This is just my opinion. I'm so glad that you took Modra home. It sounds like she is where she always wanted to be :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your supprt and understanding.
I was really baffled by their attitude and the general way they carry on things there. It's not the issue of money, no expense is too much for my baby, I just didn't like the attitude they had. Yeah, they keep records, but they couldn't find them (their records are a regular notebook with entries, should work fine, but for some reason they couldn't retrieve the information I saw them writing in the previous time I was there. Well, eventually they've agreed to pay (I have to check with the vet to see if they actually do this to prevent discovering in the mail another letter from the vet, say 1 month from now, asking me to pay and penalty fees. It's a pitty some people at the SPCA don't really care, because I met over there also very dedicated people.
I am not even sure she got de-flead, in her medical book the de-flea and worm check was not thicked so I have to trust the words of the SPCA, that they did all that. Anyway, I de-wormed her again 2 weeks after bringing her in, when she puked and I asked the vet what might be, so she recommended de-worming.
So far I didn't notice fleas on her, but as soon as I notice something like that I'll de-flea he as well.

Yeah, they are full with cats and kittens, they are not too bad in terms of dogs and puppies and they keep begging people to adopt, but as I've noticed some are very reluctant. A guy here told me their kitten died after only 2 weeks in their home mainly because his immune system was down since they spay them when they are less than 6 weeks old. So he said he'd never adopt another animal from the local SPCA, I can imagine why thinking how sad must have been to lose the kitten after his kid got attached to it.

I'm glad I adopted Modra in time and she is doing fine, she's getting spoiled and she likes us back so much.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
that is all so very sad. that shelter needs a new director! And to read the book Irreconcilable Differences: The Battle for the Heart & Soul of America's Animal Shelters Nathan J Winograd.

they need to start doing things differently. from the way it sounds they can only go up at this point. I feel bad for you but I feel more saddened with the thought of the helpless animals left in their "care".

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not to go off topic but I wanted to say something about the shelter here. The shelter's situation is very sad and it is honestly something I lose sleep over. They had had a very bad director for many years. The shelter was nothing more then a glorified hoarding situation people were laundering money from. Then they got rid of her and hired all new staff. This new staff and a group of really caring volunteers had a strong mission to turn this place around and truly help the homeless kitties. This new director was amazing! Some of those cats had been there all of their lives and were 8+ years old and had never seen a vet. It was despicable. This new director poured her heart and soul into this shelter to turn it around. She got a permanent vet to attend to these animals (they had none) and made their health a priority and adoption rates rose significantly. Then the board of directors acquired a new president. This woman went crazy with power. She got rid of every staff member including the director to replace with her friends. She ran off all volunteers but her chosen 15. The place has gone through over half of their funds in a year with her frivolous spending. She made it a point to do opposite of whatever was previously done and now disease is rampant and cats are suffering. It makes me physically sick. The shelter was finally turning around and animals being saved and because ego's got involved in a situation where ego's must not be involved animals suffer. Why must animals suffer because of the pride and selfishness of man?! Some kill shelters are more humane than this place and the suffering that is occuring. The best thing that could happen is for it to shut down and these kitties be moved to an environment where they will be properly cared for.

The group of us are working hard to get the laws here changed. Cats have absolutely no protection in our county, they hold no value. It's sickening. We must protect the defenseless and take a stance. That is one reason why I came to this forum. It is so encouraging and uplifting to see people truly caring and making a difference in animals lives.

Due to legal issues and previous involvements with this place (I am no longer affiliated with them) I can not give it's name or any information that would insinuate who they are.

Modra, I am so sorry that you had a bad experience. But thank you for adopting a shelter kitty. To go back on topic this is why I say adopt the kitties in these places, encourage people please save them, and fight them with the proper authorities that can take control of the situation. I wish so badly that a huge group of people would sweep in and take these kitties out of this awful place. They don't deserve to suffer because the people that care for them are terrible. And to anyone reading not all shelters are wonderful and we must take action. I appreciate a lot of the stuff that Mitts & Tess posts about laws and regulations. It is so needed. And just because a place wear's the title of no kill doesn't make them humane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts