Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, I always thought salt was bad for cats, yet more and more, I find it's an ingredient in wet food.

Anyone know if salt is ok? I don't think I've ever seen a % on a label.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Everyone needs salt. Why would you think it was bad? Too MUCH salt isn't good for anyone.

Commercial foods have to add all kinds of things to make up for viamin and mineral losses from cooking and processing.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think in pet foods the only danger with salt is it has to be non-iodized. I can't remember where I read that or why, so I guess it's not that useful. Maybe kitties don't get goitres? /shrug

That said, cats can get high cholesterol, heart disease, and other problems, so too much salt is also bad. The amounts in cat food probably aren't a problem, but feeding kitty too much people-food would be.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh good, thanks! I don't know where I got that idea from, but I'm glad it's wrong, because it's in some of the foods that my girls like best. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
When Felix was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy his cardiologist said that we should try to keep him on a low sodium diet. He said that the amount of salt in most canned foods was fine, but most of the processed treats were high in salt and we should avoid those.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I think in pet foods the only danger with salt is it has to be non-iodized. I can't remember where I read that or why, so I guess it's not that useful. Maybe kitties don't get goitres? /shrug

That said, cats can get high cholesterol, heart disease, and other problems, so too much salt is also bad. The amounts in cat food probably aren't a problem, but feeding kitty too much people-food would be.
there are links to too much iodine playing a part in hyperthyroidism. i don't think there has a been a definitive conclusion, but that accounts for not using iodized salt or too much seafood in their diets.

i wouldn't trust a large amount in cat food. none of the homemade recipes call for salt. i'm waiting for the cat nutrition handbook written by the subcommittee (of cat nutritionists lol i can't remember what it's called) on interlibrary loan because it's about $230 from amazon and the central library doesn't have it but i requested it. most of the university libraries carry it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts