Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a cat with one leg amputated and only half of the other hind leg?
My granddaughter's cat got some strings wrap around her hind legs about 3 years ago. By the time they had came home from work and school, the circulation had been cut off for to long. Both rear legs had to be amputated at the knees. The cat has gotten a long remarkably well.
The bone had started working through the stubs and they had to take her back for repair surgery. The surgery was not completely successful. One stub healed pretty well the other not so.
Our choices are to redo the surgery on one leg or have it completely removed. Complete removal of the leg was the Vet's recommendation.
Anyone have a cat with with one leg removed and half of the other rear leg? If so, how do they get along? Any ideas?

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I was young I had a cat with twisted back legs. He had legs but could not use either of them, they were pretty much contracted into little pretzels. He did very well. He used puppy pads instead of a litter box because he couldn't get over the ledge. He passed away at 1 from an unrelated infection but his legs never held him back.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I had a little crippled cat, he was partly paralyzed in the back end, (part Manx, not enough backbone/nerves, genectic defect). He couldn't jump at all, and couldn't use those legs much for anything. Every morning I'd bind up the one that dragged the worst with that magic stretchy stick-to-itself bandaging, I got it from my vet, so he'd not wear the skin off. Since he couldn't feel much back there he never tried to bite it away.

Can't answer about the litterbox issue, he had paralysis troubles and needed hand squeezing, but puppy pads sounds like a winner to me.

My little guy lasted 9 years and had to be put down due to intestinal issues resulting from the paralysis. :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kattie is doing good now. When I took her to the Vet's Wednesday, the the stub we were concerned about looked a lot better. The Vet kept her overnight. Everything is looking good now.
With her first amputations, my thought were to put her down. Katie has survived 4 different dogs in the house. I guess I was wrong and she could be a testimonial for cats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts