Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple weeks at least, almost every morning I wake up with an itchy rash that, when scratched, turns dark pinkish-red and bumpy. It's located in the inside of my right forearm. Could this be a local reaction to a spider bite, taking this long to get out of my system? How about the possibility of repeated spider bites in the same place?

I've heard it said that many people are bitten by spiders in their sleep and don't realize it, while some apparently even swallow a spider or two in their lifetime 8O, but I've never heard of it taking this long to recover from a single spider bite.

I've used other things like sunscreen lately as well but wouldn't you think if I were to have a reaction to that that I would have a patchy rash all over the place and not just in a quarter-sized area on my arm?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leazie said:
Could you have been bitten by a tick?
Well, I didn't have a tick latched on to my arm or anything. If they bite, don't they latch on and stay there until something/someone picks it off?

If you're talking about deer ticks, which carry Lyme disease, we don't have those in North Dakota and I haven't exhibited any of the neurologic abnormalities that are seen with deer tick bites.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, just making sure I understood you. As far as I know, a run-of-the-mill woodtick bite won't cause symptoms like a deer tick.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I occasionally get small red bumps in that area from sleeves of certain item of clothing.
Also, I don't want to freak you out, but that is a common area of outbreak for scabies. Any chance you have been exposed? Though if you had, it would most likely have spread to other areas by now.
I don't think a single bite would appear and re-appear like that....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smirkitty said:
Also, I don't want to freak you out, but that is a common area of outbreak for scabies.
Ummmm, yeah sure, you don't want to freak me out! :lol:

I really don't think it's anything like scabies. I don't itch anywhere else and it only occurs within the first couple hours after waking up and then goes away.

I have thought of the irritation from clothing issue, though almost everything I wear is either 100% cotton or a cotton/polyester blend and has always been that way.

The other possibility I thought of was getting too warm overnight. I can't tolerate the heat and hubby refuses to let me open the windows for fresh air overnight so I often wake up drenched (like you needed to know that, right? :lol: )

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Could you have come into contact with chiggers? Their bite causes a rash, but the rash lasts for seven to ten days, it doesn't come and go.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Exzema...thats all i have to say. sounds exactly like what i experience every day. i get outbreaks from stress and it itches like mad

Here is some examples. Very very common where you get it

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Spiders, chiggers and those nasty stinging flies tend to bring up ugly- looking red lumps, but they don't come and go.

I think there's a condition that can happen if you become sensitized from too much sun, however - that can be an almost painful itchy skin with a rash...it's called sun poisoning. Maybe that is it?

Fran

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Willow771 said:
Exzema...thats all i have to say. sounds exactly like what i experience every day. i get outbreaks from stress and it itches like mad
I really don't think it's eczema either. The spot on my arm has never gotten that intensely red but it does get bumpy, only after I've scratched at it. It never drives me crazy all day; just the first couple hours after waking, although I have to admit that with Smirkitty's question of scabies I've been itching just thinking about it. 8O :lol:

·
Registered
878 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
although I have to admit that with Smirkitty's question of scabies I've been itching just thinking about it. 8O :lol:
AHAHA! We had a scabies outbreak at work a few years ago, I never caught it but I had the same reaction, all itchy everywhere! The good news is that if it WAS scabies it really would've spread more by now.
I'm going with "heat rash".

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Perhaps you could try putting some powder on the area before you go to bed. If it's irritation that might take care of it.

If you wake up sweaty every day can you use a fan in your room? We have a ceiling fan in the bedroom and it helps to keep the room cool.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Not to alarm you but MRSA can resemble a spider bite.

Taken from the MayoClinic website.

MRSA infection is caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria — often called "staph." MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. MRSA can be fatal.

Most MRSA infections occur in hospitals or other health care settings, such as nursing homes and dialysis centers. It's known as health care-associated MRSA, or HA-MRSA. Older adults and people with weakened immune systems are at most risk of HA-MRSA. More recently, another type of MRSA has occurred among otherwise healthy people in the wider community. This form, community-associated MRSA, or CA-MRSA, is responsible for serious skin and soft tissue infections and for a serious form of pneumonia.

Staph skin infections, including MRSA, generally start as small red bumps that resemble pimples, boils or spider bites.

Here is a link to the article. If you go under "symptoms" it shows some closeups of what MRSA looks like.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

Hopefully this isn't the case but I wanted to make you aware.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
You could take benedryl and if it helps, couldn't you be reasonably sure it was a bug bite of some kind?
I could see a bug bite coming/going with stimulation. (AM itching and scratching)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
manitu22 said:
Not to alarm you but MRSA can resemble a spider bite.
Thanks for all the info, but I'd have to say "nada" to this one too. I know all about MRSA and how it works since I do medical transcription. I'm not otherwise sick (rarely am, actually). Other than being stuck in a wheelchair I have a pretty strong immune system.

Heidi n Q said:
You could take benedryl and if it helps, couldn't you be reasonably sure it was a bug bite of some kind? I could see a bug bite coming/going with stimulation. (AM itching and scratching)
See, I've been wondering about that as well. It does take a while for some bug bite "toxins" to leave the system and as long as it's still an irritant and it's scratched it's going to raise. I refuse to take Benadryl, though, because of it's sedating effects. The last thing I need to be is sleepy.

Well, I'm not going to fret about it. Now that I think about it I really do bet it's a heat rash and/or irritation from bedsheets OR a bug bite. I didn't wake up in a sweat this morning and the spot isn't irritated. There's still a pink, slightly raised area on the inside of my forearm from the scratching I did yesterday morning but it's not itchy right now.

Thanks! :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts