Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, after over three, yes THREE, years, Nanook has finally started eating some raw meat. If I just put the meat in his bowl, he won't eat it but, if I roll it around in his wet food, he will pick the raw meat out, eat it and leave his wet food! :? He likes his wet food, and seems to need it as a bribe to eat the raw meat, so why not eat it with the raw meat? Strange little fellow!
Oh and by the way, according to Nanook, the very best way to eat raw is: Mom must put his bowl out on the balcony, then he picks a piece of raw out, finds some soil to roll it around in (sprinkles?) and then brings it in and chomps on it on the living room floor. Dinner takes several trips now. :roll:

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Seems like Nanook has a mind of his own :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I believe you hit the nail on the head, Lea-Ann. :) Our kitties are very hunt/kill oriented. But very smart creatures, too.
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yes, I think that's exactly what he's doing! He's an avid little hunter. Yet looks SO innocent! But I still don't understand why he won't eat his wet food with the meat? He eats it the rest of the time.
He sure does have a mind of his own.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
He looks so innocent because kitties are little innocents. They don't have a malicious bone in their bodies. They don't feel mean or angry when they hunt; it's a lot of fun for them. They are just doing what's in their nature.

Sorry to go off-topic :oops:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I don't blame him for doing what he's meant to do, but I still feel very sorry for the unfortunate birds that have made their way into my house. What's really funny is Little-one, who was an outdoor stray, will just watch from as far away as possible as little Nanook, whose never been outside in his life, happily mauls the poor creature.
Cats are endlessly interesting!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Little One is probably thinking "Yuk, why do you bother with all that? Our human gives us nice, clean food in a dish! Don't you know a good thing when you see it, Nanook?" :lol:

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
maybe I should try feeding Skylar outside... anything to get her back on raw :)

Back when she DID eat raw, she would very much prefer to travel with her meals if I wasn't keeping an eye on her. Even the dog does it. She usually carries her dinner all over the deck by the time she's done. And before I put up the baby gate she would take her food piece by piece down the stairs to eat in the grass.

As for the canned food - I'm stumped. Probably just to make you ask questions! :lol:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Yuk, why do you bother with all that? Our human gives us nice, clean food in a dish! Don't you know a good thing when you see it, Nanook?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Little-one does eat his in his bowl but Nanook does seem to enjoy traveling with it. :roll: It also fits with the idea that Little-one knows what it's like to be on the street and enjoys being "civilized". :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts