Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my cat for just over a year---Our year anniversary was Monday :) I love him so much. He's my baby and my boyfriend feels the same way about him. Needless to say, he is SO spoiled. So I have noticed two things: 1) When his food is low in his bowl, like to the bottom he refuses to eat it and he'll meow [off and on] and walk to his food bowl until we fill it up. Should I not refill until he eats what's in the bowl? 2) We both work first shift and when we come home, we take turns loving on him and together. If we come home and aren't as touchy feely or paying him full attention, he meows. Its like he gets ticked off. I can assure you he gets lots and lots of attention and is usually within petting distance of us LOL. We have family night at least 4 days a week; We sit in the room together, watch tv/movies, eat. Jinx always gets next to me on the couch and naps usually. He's healthy, active and well loved. He's my baby but he's turning into a bug-a-boo hehe. Sadly, it's hard for me to NOT spoil him. He's so stinking cute. Help LOL. :blackcat

P.S. A little background on him: It took him a while to come around when I adopted him. It took him about 2 weeks to come from the back of the house while we were here. He finally came out and has been running the house since :) He was feral and the lady worked with him until she felt she was adoptable. He had a sis but she still needed work. He has grown SO much. He used to run from visitors and now he walks right up to them and sniffs and brushes up against them. He'll also poke when he wants attention. He's still a wee bit jumpy at times but nothing like before. I'm jumpy myself lol. It's been amazing to watch him grow and develop a personality. He's probably the best decision I've ever made. :oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm going to assume this is dry food. Missy gets lots of different foods, but there's always dry out. She never liked it in a dish, so I cut the top off an empty bag and I leave a fair amount in the bottom. She'll eat this, but it's a bit too much for me to explain how I feed her at the moment. When it gets low, I tip what remains into another container, put fresh in the bottom, and then put the older stuff on top of that. She seems happy. I think it's easier for them to pick up the pieces when it's a bit deeper. Have you ever thought what it must be like to have to eat with your mouth only. I believe there are party games where this is a fun thing. Yes!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
you sound like us! ha ha! Angel gets the kind of attention from me and my hubby that Jinx gets from you and your BF. we just can't leave her alone she's so CUTE! she is almost always within petting reach just like Jinx. she's been at home with us for just 3 months now. so it sounds like both her and Jinx have it made. lucky them! and lucky us! :yellbounce

in regard to Jinx refusing to eat when his food gets low in the bowl, tho -
the first thing that comes to my mind is maybe the bowl is a little too deep? you know how some kitties really hate having their whiskers touch the sides of a bowl when they're eating or drinking? maybe when the food gets low enough, his whiskers touch and it annoys him these days. maybe try a shallower bowl or even a plate on a nice placemat so if he pushes any food out of the bowl by accident and he goes to lick it up, it won't be off the floor, but a placemat that you can keep clean. we actually use a pretty shallow human soup bowl for Angel's food.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to assume this is dry food. Missy gets lots of different foods, but there's always dry out. She never liked it in a dish, so I cut the top off an empty bag and I leave a fair amount in the bottom. She'll eat this, but it's a bit too much for me to explain how I feed her at the moment. When it gets low, I tip what remains into another container, put fresh in the bottom, and then put the older stuff on top of that. She seems happy. I think it's easier for them to pick up the pieces when it's a bit deeper. Have you ever thought what it must be like to have to eat with your mouth only. I believe there are party games where this is a fun thing. Yes!
THANK YOU Jim!!! I wondered if that might be it but I played it out in my head and convinced myself that it was easier than it looked LOL. Thanks so much. My boyfriend and I read it together and we both said Ohhhhhh. :luv

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you sound like us! ha ha! Angel gets the kind of attention from me and my hubby that Jinx gets from you and your BF. we just can't leave her alone she's so CUTE! she is almost always within petting reach just like Jinx. she's been at home with us for just 3 months now. so it sounds like both her and Jinx have it made. lucky them! and lucky us! :yellbounce

in regard to Jinx refusing to eat when his food gets low in the bowl, tho -
the first thing that comes to my mind is maybe the bowl is a little too deep? you know how some kitties really hate having their whiskers touch the sides of a bowl when they're eating or drinking? maybe when the food gets low enough, his whiskers touch and it annoys him these days. maybe try a shallower bowl or even a plate on a nice placemat so if he pushes any food out of the bowl by accident and he goes to lick it up, it won't be off the floor, but a placemat that you can keep clean. we actually use a pretty shallow human soup bowl for Angel's food.
HAHAHA, I'm glad I'm not the only one hooked by a eye blink and meow. I love him sooo much. I adopted him when he was 6 months and he's now 1.5 years old. He is my heart. Like now, we are feeding him greenies and about to have an hour or so of family time. He loves family time. If we don't do it for a couple days in a row, he'll meow, lead us to the couch and plop down until we come. If we don't come? It's **** to pay hehe. He'll have an attitude until I scratch under his chin and on the side of his head. :eek:rcat

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
All spoiled? Nah! I remember when I met my 3 cats, starving and cold, roaming for a bite of something to eat under the heavy storms in the middle of the night...and they'd never complain, not a sound. Now if I accidentally move her goose-chest feather duvet a tiny bit into a position that's not what she had in mind, Princess will scream like I'm killing her. And if heaven forbid I play with the mouse a little bit more with Princess, Lady Nikita will let out these forlorn cries like she's drowning in a storm. As to Prince, who'd sit through the weekend, under the rain, waiting for the supermarket to open again in hopes the guard would feed him something, always with a sweet smile on his face, this morning yelled at me, hands on hips, for a whole minute when I got back from the artisans' market, because how dare I go for a stroll instead of staying home to cater to his every whim like I should.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts