Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever tried the Spot's Stew Cat food? It's over $3.00 per can - and can be purchased at Petco. That's confusing to me, not to say that the price really has anything to do with the quality of the food, but with the claims on the label AND the price, I'm surprised to find something like this at the chain petstores. I mean, you can't buy Chicken Soup, Innova, California Natural, Wellness, etc. at Petco...so if this is as good as it claims to be, why is it sold there?

Supposedly the ingredients are:

Whole Chicken, Carrots, Yellow squash, Zucchini, Celery, Green Peas, String Beans, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Garlic, Kelp, Vitamins & Minerals.

It also claims to be human grade *AND* USDA APPROVED. So...I could eat this stuff??

If you've tried it...please let me know. I'm dying to know if it's as good as it claims to be.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about...check out their website..

www.halopets/spotstew.com

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hmmm.. I had never heard of it :oops: , so I had to check out the website. It looks good to me!! Funny that they carry it at Petco. At over $3.00 a can, it better be good 8O :D

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinking....for over 3 bucks...geez...

I also grabbed this from their website...

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
* CRUDE PROTEIN...4.5% (Min.)
* CRUDE FAT...1.5% (Min.)
* CRUDE FIBER...1.5% (Max.)
* MOISTURE...90% (Max.)

LOW fat content, is it too low? Where is Dr. Jean when ya need her? :wink:

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
For overweight cats you want to cut down on the carbs, rather than fat or protein. When looking at this food, you have to consider the dry matter content, without the moisture.

Since the food contains 90% water, then the dry matter content is only 10%. So then figure out what percentage of the dry matter are the nutrients.

ie: 4.5% protein / 10% dry matter = 0.45 (x 100% ) = 45% protein
So then it would also be 15% fat and 15% fiber on a dry matter basis.

To figure out the carbs, subtract all the other ingredients from 100%, and you get 25% carbs.

That is quite a high percentage of carbs considering the food is wet food. You usually want to have less than 8% carbs in a food. This isn't suprising because only the first ingredient is meat. When selecting a food, you want the first 3 ingredients to be a meat. So although this food is expensive, I wouldn't feed it to my cat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've tried a few cans of it but my cats were'nt crazy over it. I have'nt checked in a while but it was'nt that expensive when I bought it. It was less than $2 a can.
Both of my dogs love it. It looks and smells good...reminds me of chicken stew.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny that the cats don't like it but the dogs do!
Maybe it was a newer thing when you bought it for under $2, because I just saw it 2 days ago and i think it was about $3.39 a can at Petco.
I also saw on their website that you can buy 6 cans for just under 20 dollars. That's really high! And..you'd still have to pay for shipping!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm here! Just facing a couple of huge project deadlines this week and the next couple so less time to browse the forums!

Nice analysis of the food, Queen! :D Exactly right, you must compare foods on a dry matter basis. Most canned foods are about 78% water. At 90% moisture, Spot's Stew is very expensive water! It does contain a lot of veggies which is what increases the carbs. Since they are complex carbs they are probably not as harmful as grain ingredients, but still, cats don't need them.

However, the ingredients are good quality. Since it's about the same price as a can of Progresso soup, it might not be a bad idea stash a few cans away for your own dinner some snowy winter night! :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oppoki, just saw the Spot's Stew on the catconnection store online for under 2 bucks a can.

Just confirms that you can find it cheaper like you said you had paid for it.

Doesn't matter, I guess we've figured out that it's not a good food for cats anyway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i just bought a can to try it out at whole foods... and it was a bit under $2 a can. it may have more carbs but at least they're healthy ones! i will see if the kitties like it tomorrow!

·
Registered
12 Posts
AddFran said:
Has anyone here ever tried the Spot's Stew Cat food? It's over $3.00 per can - and can be purchased at Petco. That's confusing to me, not to say that the price really has anything to do with the quality of the food, but with the claims on the label AND the price, I'm surprised to find something like this at the chain petstores. I mean, you can't buy Chicken Soup, Innova, California Natural, Wellness, etc. at Petco...so if this is as good as it claims to be, why is it sold there?...It also claims to be human grade *AND* USDA APPROVED. So...I could eat this stuff??
We tried Spot's Stew, both regular and clam flavour, with our cats many months ago, and they only sniffed it. Perhaps the more liquid consistency of it turned them off, or just the smell was unappetizing. The stew does look good enough for people to eat though.

Of course, some testimonials have said their pets like it. But every cat is different, so regardless of how good (or how bad) a particular food is, one cat may take to it more than another.

I'm surprised they would sell Spot's Stew at U.S. chains. Here where I live, you can only get it at a few small holistic pet food stores; can't get it at PetSmart here (no Petco stores here though).

- george

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah definitely don't bother. tyra ate some of it, but that's b/c she likes veggies. tyson wouldn't go near it until i dumped some regular chicken wellness mixed in and added lamb baby food on top. i don't blame them -- it looks like human chicken soup with lotsa veggies... not cat food at all.

i'm not going to throw it out just yet, have the rest in the fridge... maybe i can trick them into eating the rest of it somehow :twisted:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just found this old thread. I'm trying different foods with my cat. He loved Nature's Variety Homestyle Lamb and Liver the best (practically inhales it and licks the bowl clean), but it has oat flour in it, and I know grains aren't good. So I tried the Spot's Stew Lamb, and he loved that too. It's grain-free, so I thought "Great!" But now I'm reading above that too many veggies means it's too high in carbs. So which would you say is better: Nature's Variety Lamb and Liver, where the first five ingredients are Lamb, Lamb Broth, Lamb Liver, Chicken, and Egg Whites, but there's also oat flour listed? Or Spot's Stew Lamb, where there's no grain, but lots of veggies up front as listed in the post above? Or is there another lamb-flavored canned food that's good without being crazy expensive? (Both these two brands are $16.99 for 12 cans at Chewy.com, so $34 for 24 cans, which is already on the higher end.)

·
Super Moderator
18,390 Posts
Please do not resurrect old threads. Start a new one with your questions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.