Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this was a common thing, and if so how other people deal with it.

My cat Tiberius is a neutered black and grey tabby. He has never sprayed on purpose. It seems that after a few months build up, if someone accidently touches his behind, or his back legs, or picks him up just right, he lets loose and then the person smells like cat spray.. it is purely unintentional and i dont thing he even relizes that he does it, or can controll it even if he did. It comes off easily with soap and water (as i am usually on the recieving end of this), but is this common? After he lets it loose, he's fine for the next few months.. but then it seems to build up again!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
756 Posts
How long ago was your cat neutered? Sometimes if a male cat has already begun to spray before being neutered, it can take several months for him to stop spraying.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Could be a problem that needs fixing...

My grandmother's neutered male dog had a problem where something happened to scent glands and the got filled and swollen. He had to be taken to the vets and drained.

However both these issues make me wonder what happens to the scent... I assume they still have it when neutered, they just have no urge to use it. It must be reabsorbed into the body on a regular basis or released little by little in urine? I'm not sure...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he was neutered as soon as he was old enough... i believe around 6-7 months...he will be a year old in the first week of june. He never started spraying. And he never does it in away to mark his territory, all these times are purely accidental, because i've touched him around there by either picking him up, or pushing him out of the kitchen wiht my foot or something like that. Its been human induced. Its just once that he does "go off" he's fine for a few months, and then it seems to build up again. Maybe he just has a problem re-absorbing it?

Also i can tell when its about time for him to be very sensitive around the back area, because he's much more jumpy when things are being touched around his back end. For example, he twitches his whole tail off to the side likehe wants no one to touch it... thats when i start to get scared to touch his back end at all! Even to comb it. Its very slight thing at first, but as Spray day gets closer it does seem to be more pronounced. Hmmm it must be uncomfy for him.... heheh forums are good to talk things out of! I dont think i would have noticed that if i didn't have to think of a way to explain it to you guys!

but yea i've never heard of this being a thing with boy cats. I've only had girl cats before. I suppose i need to call the vet.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to talk to a vet. There's obviously a problem with the cat removing that spray whichever way they do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ooh so i talked to the vet, and he has an over active anal gland. nothing serious.. they said the next time he builds up, just bring him in and for 10 bucks they'll express it and show me how to do it. Hehehe doh i'm going to have to milk my cats behind for the rest of his life! :oops: :lol: bad thing is, that he just got over one build up, and i'm moving in less then 2 weeks. I hope the vet there will know how!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts