Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have never posted a question here about my cat Milo, but my sister has. Milo has been spraying for a long time, and we have just gotten used to cleaning it up... A LOT. I have 3 other cats, and have been told by the vet that he probably shouldn't be in an environment with other cats. I can't bear to give him away though. I have had him on medication, but it always seems to wear off, and is not good for long term use. I have tryed to used Feliway, but I dosen't seem to do that much to him. I think that my other cats enjoy it though. I have 4 litter boxes in my house, which my vet told me is enough for 4 cats, and I always see Milo go in a litter box, but he still sprays all over anything, and everything. My question is if it would help if I let him outside. I live near a busy street so I don't want to let him out by himself, but what if I got a harness and took him for a walk. Do you think it would help him de-stress or stress out more. Sometimes he meows at windows and doors, so I think that he would like to go out. Is there anyother recommendations for how to deal with this problem. I really do not want to give him up. My vet suggested separating my other cats from him, but the only place I could put him is in the basement, and I think that it is too small for a cat and that he might become more stressed. What do you think? Thanks a bunch!

-Erika

·
Registered
111 Posts
My question..

How old is Milo

And i just had the same problems with my cat with spraying ALOT, but i just got him fixed(less than a week ago) and IT HELPED, it cut his spraying down from 5+ times a day to a managable 1-2 times a day(soon to be 0 i hope)... Its worth it to get him fixed. But that also depends on his age...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milo is almost 3 years old. He is fixed.... at least that's what my vet told me... and all of my other cats are fixed as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
He may be spraying out of habbit. Do not, however, let him outside. When you got him, did the previous owner say he had been neutered? To check phsyically, a neutered male will just have a slit where the sacks should be. A intact male will be more round and 'filled'.

For cleaning up his previous messes, there should be some black light at the pet store that can show you all of his markings so you can clean them up completely. And add stuff to it to make the scent go away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay... I checked and yes, he IS fixed. So yes, maybe he is spraying out of habit... but how do I help him break the habit? I'm so lost.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I have never had this experience myself, so I can't help you personally. Here are some articles on spraying and eliminating this behaviour, though.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/litterboxhelp.html
It mentions eliminating stress in your cats life as well as the pheromone Feliway and a homeopathic solution called Rescue Remedy. Also, it might be time to look into an animal behaviourist. I hope you can find something helpful in some of that - I imagine it must be a really frustrating problem!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts