Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I came home from work today to find my one year old cat Dax sitting on the couch and winking at me. At first I thought it was cute, but as I got closer, I realized that he was having trouble opening his eye. I haven't seen anything unusual in or around it, so I'm kind of curious as to what's going on.

Just a little background, both he and his brother Goober caught colds over Thanksgiving, but they recovered long ago. Goober has always had an issue with eye discharge. I wipe his eyes with a warm cloth in the morning and evening to clean away the crud, but Dax rarely has this. Every so often I'll clean some stray crust off his eyes, but that's about it. This eye has also always been a little squinty, but he's never kept it closed like this.

He let me touch the area and I was able to open the eye without him squirming away. The third eyelid is covering about 30 - 50% of his eyeball. From what I see of the other part, it looks fine. It's clear and there's no discharge or blood or anything.

He's very calm and tentative, which is unusual for him. When I get home from work he's usually bouncing around the house. Now he's just kind of sitting there with his tail curled around him. He flinches every now and then when he walks like he thinks something is closer to him than it is, but I would assume that is coming from him having problems with depth perception.

He seemed fine this morning, so I'm wondering if he's sick, or maybe he got something in it? Since the weather has been getting nicer here in NYC, I left the bedroom window open. Could it be a reaction to the weather? Change in seasons? Allergies? At the moment I don't think I need to take him to the vet, but if it's not better by morning, I might bring him over just in case.

If anyone has an idea of what this could be, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
JBX

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
The third eye showing is a symptom, like a fever is with people. It could mean so many things, but he really should see a vet. This happened to Cleo and it turned out she had parasites. But like I said, it could be anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He seems much better today. This morning he ran for the food, ate like a little pig and bounced around the house. His eye is open all the way now, but it's a tiny bit cloudy. Nothing that you would notice unless you were looking for it. I'm going to keep an eye on him for the next few days, but I'm going to assume for now that he just got something in it that irritated the eye or maybe even poked it accidentally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts