Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I posted this in the general forum too, but I think its more appropriate here.

I need some help with a problematic introduction. Background: My cat Coco, is about 6 years old, and spayed. She was a stray that showed up at my parent's house about four years ago. I adopted her, and brought her to live with my roommate and I. After about a year, my roommate adopted a kitten as well, and there were no problems. Coco tolerated the kitten, and everything was great.

About two years ago, I moved to a new city to start grad school, and I moved into an apartment by myself. Coco was okay alone - I always thought she acted bored, though. She gained alot of weight (she's now 15 lbs!) and I decided, after talking to my vet and research, to bring a buddy cat home to keep her company while I was in class, etc.

My mother then found a cat living at her vet's office - he's a neutered male kitten who had been hit by a car (he had a broken jaw and he lost most of his bottom teeth). My mom loved him - he is truly the sweetest and most affectionate kitten I've ever seen - and I adopted him about 6 weeks ago.

I did everything that was recommended with the introduction process (separation, letting them meet little by little, even vanilla on the fur), and all was slowly going well. They fought a lot, but I just figured they'd get used to one another eventually. However, last month during a "visit" together, Coco scratched the kitten in the eye, which required stitches. I immediately separated them again, and took Coco in to get her nails clipped. My vet suggested giving Coco Elavil to help her adjust to the new kitten in her little apartment. I also bought a Feliway mist plug in to help everyone.

Now, it's three weeks since the incident. I'm slowly reintroducing the kitties, but things still aren't going well... Whenever they aren't together, Coco sits and howls at the kitten's door. If they are together, Coco stares at the kitten (who hisses at her constantly, understandably) and follows it around, with these psychotic look in her eyes. The two animals stare at each other so much...

I haven't used much discipline, except when they fight with one another. I'm frightened for my kitten, but I don't want to make Coco feel unloved. Do I spray them (very effective with both) when they are staring at one another? Or when Coco is stalking? It's just been so difficult to keep my entire house separated..... (Oh- and giving one of them away is NOT an option, I love them both too much and will do anything to keep them here). Am I just trying to rush this? Please help!

Thanks so much for your advice! Sorry this is so long...
-Memma

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I've always had my 2 cats since they were from the shelter and they were both from the same cage so they always got along great. As far as introducing I personally havent done that since my 2 cats were always together but my bf has ex roommates and what they did was instead of slowly introducing one another, they just put the cats together right away and they hissed and didnt like one another but eventually got to liking one another later. A lot of times some cats never get along great but tolerate each other after awhile. I dont know about spraying them with water when they aren't doing anything but just try to feed them both maybe some wet canned food together and treats together. I kept my 2 cats in the bathroom together making them stay in there b/c they were hissing at each other for some odd reason several months back. I was so scared and just stuffed them in the bathroom so they wouldnt keep avoiding each other and they were fine after 2 days. Sorry I can't help much on the situation but wish you the best of luck. I totally understand how you couldnt give one cat away, I wouldnt be able to either.

Keep us updated on their progress too :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually, I went through this same thing. I have four cats and I got them each at different times. Last December me and my fiance got out daughter "Tinsel". She was only 10 wks old and her and my older cat ( 4 yrs. at the time) "camren" didn't get along. Tinsel was intrested at first and followed Camren around but then Camren would hiss and start trying to scratch, then she refused to go into the same room my kitten Tinsel was in. I finally got tired of it and I locked my other cats out of one room, took Camren and Tinsel and brought them in. I held Tinsel and I put her next to Camren. At first she wasn't cooperating but every time that she hissed or tried to scratch Tinsel I would look at her in the eyes, point my finger at her and say "NO!" in a firm voice. And then I brought Tinsel to her again. If she tried to scratch Tinsel I would take 2 fingers and tap her on her forehead (Lightly) and say "NO!" again. I did this for about 3 days and tried to do it for a consistant amount of time. I didn't let Camren outside at this point so she wouldn't run away. But after every time I forced her to be with Tinsel, I would put Tinsel in another room and praise her for doing good. After about 2 weeks the were inseperable. They would wreastle around but Camren would never use all her strength. She is a full grow cat weighing in at 16 lbs. while Tinsel was only 12 wks old wieghing in at about 3 lbs. LOL But now, (ONE YEAR AGO ON THE 17th OF DEC.) They still get along and play. I think also since Camren never had her own kittens she didn't know how to take it. Well, I hope my expierence helps you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts