Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know exactly where to post this question...

One of my cats has been standing up while urinating. Is this normal? He sometimes has his back end pointing in the wrong direction and urinates outside of the box. There is pee all over the inside wall of the litter box (litter box has a cover). When cleaning out the box it seems to smell very strong!!! Could he have an infection? We've also noticed the smell of urine in the living room but cannot figure out where exactly it is coming from. Usually you can see where they have gone. He has been peeing standing up for some time now but the smell in the living room is recent and wondering if it has something to do with our new baby (human). I've been afraid that this may happen and one of the reasons I thought I'd never have a cat in the house but he is my sweet little baby and could never give him up but don't want my house smelling like a cat urine factory. Help!! :cry:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh yes, spraying. We all go through it one time or another. I still can't seem to break my boys of this (except shelling out lots of money to get them fixed). Chances are this is NOT the only place he has sprayed. My boys spray everything from jackets hanging on the chair, to the hamper, to just plain walls for the **** of it. Good luck with this. Your best chance is getting him neutered, and the urine detector, lots of scrubbing.

·
Registered
865 Posts
In the end neutering will probably be less expensive than continually scrubbing after them! hehe

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
getting him nutered before he gets into to much of a habit will pretty much stop it.

My male butch sprayed once before I got him nutered, he has NEVER sprayed since, even when strays have broke in and sprayed everything in sight. Much easier than scrubbing.
For the odor tho, I use simple solution for cat spray/urine lovely smell, fine on fabrics and does a fantastic job. It isnt cheap, but not to expensive either, I always keep a bottle in the house just in case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is neutered!! That's why I'm so concerned. :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
The problem could be twofold - 1.) he's asserting dominance over the new baby in the house (this is MY house, I'm king cat) and 2.) possible urinary tract infection. It's probably worth a vet visit to make sure it's not the second one.

katsprat

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Well then, my concern would be that it is uncomfortable and maybe even painful for him to squat and the odor is possibly being caused by an infection. If he is peeing elsewhere in the house, it further suggests that he has a bladder problem. It certainly isn't normal, and I would recommend taking him to the vet.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Farm & Fleet has a great price on Feliway Spray. :D
Only $16.99.....this product worked for my cat Bosco when he acted up.
I used the urine balck light to find his marked areas.
I used Natures Miracle for cats to remove odor.
I followed the directions on the Feliway bottle.
I have not had any reoccurances.
It has been over 6 months.

http://www.feliway.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input. We are making an appointment with the vet tomorrow. Wish us luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts