Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I visited the local shelter because I want to find a "friend" for Barnaby. I've pretty much decided that I want to get a male cat (as I have heard that females can be less accepting of other cats) and I am not opposed to getting a young adult either. It may be easier than bringing a new baby into the house and the adults have less of a chance of adoption. There was one that I looked at that seemed very sweet and enjoyed the attention. He rolled around the floor purring and even allowed me to rub his stomach without clawing or biting. I don't know if this is a result of nerves at the shelter but this cat seemed to shed excessively and its coat seemed very thin. I'm so used to Barnaby's coat which is very full and soft.

It was so cute when I got home because Barnaby sniffed me up and down and then proceeded to sniff all around the whole house checking everything out.

It just breaks my heart to go to the shelter because you see so many adult cats that you just know once belonged to somebody and they just abandoned them. There was a chubby mature male that was described as mellow and very sweet and he sounded just like a kitten when he meowed. He just wanted to be loved and it broke my heart. I really hope that possibly an older person who is looking for a mellow companion gives this sweet thing a home. Because I'm doing this mostly for Barnaby, I really would like to get a cat that has similar play habits to his so I'm trying to be a bit on the selective side.

I'll be sure to share pictures and stories once I make the big decision.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It is sad to even hear about. I have the hardest time trying to figure out how someone could judt give away one of their animals. Mine are like my children and there is no way I would give them up. I think it is nice that you are considreing adopting an adult cat. I think they probably do have less of a chance.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I agree, my cats are like my kids too! My boyfriend and I adopted our first kitten 9 months after we got our first apartment. Now we have moved, and adopted a second kitten. We love them so much and I could never picture giving them away.

I guess some situations are hard though, like maybe a new baby is born and is allergic to the cats. You either have to give up the cats or the baby! Nonetheless, I think that would be SO hard. I would make sure they went to someone in my family for sure!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Bless you for thinking of adopting an older cat, that's fantastic!

Kitties in the shelter may have been on the streets or not ever fed well. The coat is the first thing to improve when they get on a decent diet.

Overweight kitties that have been on dry--or worse, light--diets don't get enough fat to keep their coats healthy. That will change within a couple of weeks in the right home--maybe yours?

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I have a terrible time walking into the local shelter. Like you said, the thought that alot of these cats where once someone's pet and then were abandoned is so heartbreaking. That is so wonderful you are considering an adult cat!!
Wishing you luck introducing the addition to Barnaby! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's the neat thing about shelter cats - they are eternally grateful for any attention and love you give them, even if they are frightened and not-so-receptive to it at first.

How wonderful that you're considering an adult as a friend for Barnaby! They are truly the neglected ones in the shelters...the kittens get snatched up, only spending a few days in the shelter, whereas many of the adults live a significant portion of their life waiting for their forever home.

I say choose whichever cat grabs at your heart the most in the shelter...even if he isn't the most bright-eyed, well-groomed creature there. Because like Dr. Jean said, having a home and proper care is really what makes the difference for all animals. When I first took Fergus in (he was in pretty bad shape...he was a stray), he looked terrible. He had a sore on his paw and limped, was filthy (he's mostly white), had runny eyes, brown crust around his nasal openings, was wet from the rain, and a chunk of fur missing from his tail. Upon receiving a clean bill of health from the vet, receiving his vaccinations, having the URI treated, and conjunctivitis treated, and being neutered, he was given a nice bath, had his ears treated, the sore cleaned, his nails trimmed, and good combing and brushing, and SEVERAL meals of premium cat food (along with more sleep than he probably ever had outdoors)...I have to say that he is one of the most handsome cats around. I'm a little biased, of course. :lol:

Just choose whatever cat will fit Barnaby's personality, and will seem to make a positive addition to your home...because with a lot of nurturing and TLC, most cats come a LONG way in terms of overall health and appearance.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
So finally thinking of taking the big step! That is wonderful news...you will make Barnaby happier when you are gone and you will offer the perfect home to a lucky kitty ( I know they all deserve it --I know we all wish there were no sad cases...). I can't wait to see pictures and hear the story unfold.
I wish there were more people sensitive like you and adopt adult cats from shelters ...

·
Registered
865 Posts
It also depends on how long they've been at the shelter. I've noticed some cats stay out back for a sorta of "repairation" period for long than others, and they all do for a certain amount of time. They have have moved him up because of his good nature, so it might not be a sign of health problems, but you wouldn't be able to tell for sure without him getting a check up.

It is sad to see some of the cats at the shelter. It's very surprising to see the range of conditions they come in as. Oddly, the most friendly I've seen are the big male fighter cats. Really thick weather beaten fur, and with battle scars (of course, they would probably be best as a single cat). And they the old fat sleepy ones. It's always hard going out looking for a cat, cause you feel as if you have to adobt them all.

BUT - I found that when I wasn't looking for a cat, there was the odd one that really caught my eye. You'll probably find one like that after a while - the cat for you. I would go several times, a week apart. Just to see if there are any that really catch your eye, and to see who is being left behind (if you feel the need to be a "ugly ducklings" savior). I found the cats I liked to be a combo of both of the above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.