Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love some opinions and other alternatives(for example the diatomous earth sorry if spelled wrong can you use that ON the animal or NO??)I have had NO trouble with the spot on flea meds but I am now getting paranoid about using them after seeing on some other sites that they are "poisoning" our pets and giving them cancer.I use Revolution on my black longhaired male because he can't tolerate Frontline plus and lost a bunch of his hair when I applied it once(thank the Lord that was all that happened)I use Advantage on my dog and he does have a lot of lumps and bumps but I also know from research on the internet that Labs are prone to that as they age.(and yes he has been seen by a vet several times for this,he is being monitored)I use Frontline Plus on the other 2 cats and have for years.As I said I am currently having NO problems but I am getting more afraid every day that this stuff isn't good for them.But I totally cannot get fleas either I hate the things SO much(I guess we all do)I vacuum once a week because I need to and I suck up some flea powder in the bag so I don't have to change it after ever time because they are getting too expensive to do that.I also treat the house every 8 mos. but the spray worries me as well.Like I said any advice appreciated and TIA(thanks in advance):mrgreen:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No,unfortunately the 2 males go out as well as the dog,he has a invisible fence and he can run around and enjoy the outdoors.I hesitated bringing up the fact that the males go out, because I get static for it a lot and hey,believe me, I KNOW and I hate it myself.I am constantly monitoring the sound of the traffic(which is low on my street thank heavens)and looking outside to see if they are back or around to bring them back in where they are safe.But they were outdoors when they came and they mark if I don't let them out a few hours a day and I have tried all types of things and tried making them indoor only.I raised the female from a kitten and raised her inside only. Anyway your answer is No, 3 of my animals do go out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ah. Just wondered if they were indoor-only, then there wouldn't be much risk of them getting fleas. I'm hesitant to use the flea meds on my dogs, and stopped using it completely on the one who has a history of seizures. I've heard of using Neem oil to prevent fleas, though I've never tried it. Maybe look into that?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
If you look hard enough on google, you will find that ANYTHING "will poison, mutilate or disfigure" your pet. You have to weigh the risks against the benefits.

I personally trust and use Revolution. Its excellent for outdoors cats because it offers unparallelled protection against parasites, ear mites, fleas, intestinal worms and heartworms. Its also got the studies to show its safety and efficacy. I would stick with this product.

Now if you told me you were using Hartz, Sargents or something else OTC you got at walmart, I would be concerned about toxicity. Because that happens, FREQUENTLY. But I've used revolution for nearly 10 years now and have only had one reaction, and it was the localized hairloss at the applications site.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You mention they mark if they don't go outside? Are they neutered? It might help with the marking if they aren't.

We've used Advantage (treats for earmites too) with good luck and no ill effects (yet).

·
Registered
709 Posts
I use DE (yes, you can use it ON the animal), and also brewers yeast, garlic, or apple cider vinegar in small amounts ingested can help deter pests.

Honestly, we barely use DE, and other than the ACV we use none of the others.. even when we lived in an old house made into an apartment we didn't really NEED flea preventative. IMO, it's because we feed raw and ours cats immune systems are very high.

We stopped using any vet prescribed meds when my eldest started to have horrible reactions for Revolution. At that point we weren't even giving a whole tube per cat, I would just split 1 cat tube between all 4 cats.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Marah
I don't personaly know how this works, for I have never tried it. I have heard alot about a product called Shoo tag. Here is a test they did using people as test subjects
Good Luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry should have also said they make the for animals too (flea's, tick's ect.) only used that clip because it was a field test, not a commercial ( I don't trust commerial's) but here is one for flea's
You can find these at most pet stores

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
While Samantha was an indoors only cat her entire life, Chiquita was indoors/out doors and would occasionally introduce fleas into the house.
While Advantage works great it always made Samantha lethargic for several days after applying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts