Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sid has been extremely stubborn for about a week now. He has refused to eat his dry food - that he used to eat on throughout the day before. I give him dry food to free feed (1 cup) and he doesn't usually finish it all, but now he doens't even make a dent in it! 8O I do give him wet food (Nutro pouches) at dinner time - and that's all he would eat.

All I want is to get him back to eating both dry food and wet food, cause some weekends I am away and leave out 2 bowls of dry food for him to eat.

I guess what I am really asking is, Do cats go on a starvation protest?
And what can I do about making him eat dry food again?

PS: He is active and playing...so I know he's not sick or out of character. Oh, please help!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You can't *make* a cat eat anything he doesn't want. You could try a different dry food to see if it tempts him. A lot of folks have had good success with Chicken Soup.

Cats *will* starve rather than eat something they don't want. If he isn't eating enough and/or is losing weight, do take him in for a vet checkup. Many medical conditions, such as a sore throat or tooth abscess, can cause a poor appetite yet not much else in the way of signs.

It's really not a good idea to leave a cat alone for more than 24 hours. If you go away for a couple of days, just have a neighbor or pet-sitter come in and check on him, feed him, scoop the box, etc. He needs fresh water daily also.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr.Jean - Well, I fed him a bit of Nutro and right after that he had like 2 nibbles of his dry food. He is the strangest cat ever! He doesn't like treats (even though his previous owner said he goes nuts for them!) 8O

To clear up the confusion about me leaving for the weekend, I have the Fresh Flow Fountain for water, and non-clumping litter which I change once a week. If we go longer than 2 days, I usually have my neighbor come over to make sure that the house is in order, he has food and all the necessities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts