Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been trying to pet my Feral Cat Sebastian for years without success. Every once in a while I catch him at just the right moment when he lets me pet him. Tonight was one of those moments but was very short loved and it dawned on me that it might have something to do with static electricity.
As I was petting him I could feel the Electricity off of his hair and it was a little uncomfortable even for me so I wonder what he feels. The other cats have soft fluffy fur and his is short and stiff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,151 Posts
Most likely, as those little sparks do zing a bit. You could moisten your hand slightly before you pet him. Hand lotion on your hand might take away the static but will make his coat greasy and likely won't be good for him to lick it off; don't use dryer sheets either for the same reason.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,629 Posts
It is the static electricity! And you can just moisten your hand with water! I have 5 long hair kitties out of the 7, so I've had lots of practice! This also works well for brushing. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know why I never realized this before because I live in a dry desert climate and static electricity has always been a huge problem.
I know clothes and shoes also make a difference, because my nylon jacket really charges up and I’ve actually seen large blue fire balls coming off my fingers when grabbing a door knob in the dark.
I do use a lot of hand lotions because my hands really get dry, but I avoid petting after using it because I don’t want the cats licking it.
Now that I’m aware of it I’ll have to find a way of discharging myself before trying to pet them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
I have this problem when petting Gilbert & Sullivan (orange tabby fosters) sometimes. It was pretty irritating when I first got the boys. Sully, the shyer of the twins, would get a little bit of a shock when he came over to sniff me or rub up against my leg, and then I'd have a really tough time getting him back into his crate when it was time because he'd run from me in anticipation of another zap.

My Cosette actually likes little static electric shocks--or "sparkles" as we call them where she's concerned. Cosy loves to chase sparkles on the TV screen right after it's been turned on or off; she tries to bite them. Lol, she often asks for the TV to be turned on, so she can hunt sparkles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cosy loves to chase sparkles on the TV screen right after it's been turned on or off; she tries to bite them. Lol, she often asks for the TV to be turned on, so she can hunt sparkles.
That's just too funny LOL

Sometimes when I pet my cat I tell her she creates enough electricity to light a city! Why do they bother with power plants when there are plenty of cats around to pet? :lol:
I have to say that I once thought I was seeing spirits or orbs in the middle of the night when I saw flashing lights run across my bed. Then I was a bit disappointed when I turned on the light to see my long haired Squirts standing on the corner.:lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,629 Posts
HaHa! The other thing that lights up is the remote control for the TV any time one of my cats pass by it!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG! Staticy Cat vs. Balloon was so funny. I'm going to try that if they don't pop the balloon first :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
Put a kettle on! Really, fill a kettle with water and put it on low boil to add humidity to the air. That will help keep the static down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Marcia that jogs my memory of a story I heard about hospitals using humidifiers to cut down the possibilities of oxygen exploding from static. I’m not sure if I have the facts correct, but I think it was oxygen they were talking about.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top