Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has found a way to touch their cats without zapping them with static electricity this time of year. My cats are starting to shy away from my touch. The new addition to my cat family, Juno, thinks she has come to a house of torture and has begun to growl when I reach out to caress her. :( I thought of running dryer sheets over their fur, but the chemicals in those might harm the cats. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
You need to put some moisture into your house. Boil a huge pot of water or use a humidifier. I don't do either, but when I want to pet the static-y cats, I'll run a few drips of water into my hands and rub them together before I pet the kitties. I tend to get cat hair stuck to my damp hands, but it is better than annoying or startling them. I began doing this with the fosters, I needed EVERY touch to be a good one. A static shock could set me back with their progress if I allowed that to happen.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I second adding the humidity. Another work around would be to touch something metal before touching the cats. You'll still get the shock, but at least they won't.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I always touch something metal before I touch the kitties this time of year. Seems like if I don't the zap hits them in the ear, and they definitely don't like it. I've turned my humidifier up too, and that's helping as well. Gotta keep the fuzzy ones happy!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
WhiteKitties said:
Gotta keep the fuzzy ones happy!
That's a quote for a T-shirt! :D

Sam and I used to play a game on the few dry, cold days in Metairie. He'd see if he could pounce my hand and discharge the static with his hands instead of me zapping his ear. I never let the charge build to a strong level, and only played the "pounce or zap" game a couple of times in a play session. :)

Touch the metal bed frame to discharge the static. You can run a wire from the bed frame, through a 10-Megohm resistor, in series with a (NE-2) neon bulb, to the ground terminal on an outlet, to see a flash as the static charge dissipates. :D
:eek:rcat

edit- fixed spelling

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I really like the metal idea, I didn't know metal would discharge the static.
Unfortunately I don't think a humidifier would work in my house. I sure wish it would, everything is SO dry!
My cats and I all appreciate the responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts