Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the cooler weather inexorably takes hold in my area, the last few evenings I have been shocked by Snowball. Literally. Small static electricity shocks. She is a short-hair, as are my others. I installed a humidifier that runs through my furnace, and it's turned on with the humidity set at 35 percent, an upper setting. I'm not getting shocks from the other cats or metal doorknobs, etc. Don't know why it's just her.

Any suggestions on what else I can do to avoid this problem during the winter, besides turning the humidifier up a little more?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Are you in bed when you get shocked? If so it is the cat rubbing against the sheets and comforter that is the problem. I had this same problem with Teddy. Fortunately (for this problem but not in general) I live in a damper apartment now so its happened only a couple times. If I reached out to pet him and it was dark I could literally see the sparks jump from my hand to him. (though I say i'm shocking him ;) )

Not sure how else to fix it except to raise the humidity level.

·
Banned
470 Posts
I had posted about this recently. Both my cats were shocking me, and it got them either on the nose or paws, and even though THEY are the problem they give ME dirty looks like I did it.

Tie a grounding strap to their collars or make them wear steel booties. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, wink-and-nod or otherwise; I'd missed the earlier posts on this, maybe since it wasn't a problem for me until a few days ago. Nope, not in my bedroom, where sparks are not always a negative:wink
Just out and about in the house.

And, dare I confess it, my Fab Four are collarless--microchipped, yes, but unadorned.

Guess I'll just ramp up the humidifier, it's not on top setting yet and I don't have condensation on the windows, so maybe I've still got some maneuvering room.

And I didn't get dirty looks last winter, pre-humidifier, more a fear of the Lethal Hand of Sparks that was coming to shock them, then pet them, then shock them again. Little Hersh in particular wasn't around then, and while he's somewhat a lap kitten, he'll jump at the slightest provocation, so I don't want him associating me with that unpleasantness.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Perhaps you're only receiving shocks from Snowball, because females hold all the power and are far more electrifying than males! :crazy

What can you do aside from turning up the humidifier? First, keep some live plants in the room, which will also serve to reduce the dry air. Of course, you'll need to select plants that are not harmful to cats. Second, since dry skin tends to result in greater static, you can use moisturizer on your hands, unless that offends your male pride. Third, to the extent possible, avoid synthetic fabrics (polyester, etc.) in favour of cotton or wool (clothes, blankets on the couch, etc.). Finally, use a damp cloth to occasionally wipe down Snowball's fur, or the guys' fur if/when they start to give off sparks.

Oh, and I almost forgot, you could avoid touching and/or cuddling with the cats until next Spring! :patback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts