Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 year old male cat had a blocked bladder 2 weeks ago and had a catheter Place not once but twice. After the first one was removed he blocked up again 4 days later. Now since then he been peeing blood and the vet doesn’t want to send him home! After research I found that could be from stress or a infection. I’m really getting frustrated with this vet now because I want my little guy home and he should be sent home with medication for the peeing blood. Has anyone experience this? I’m not really trusting this vet now

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi there,

I'm so sorry about your kitty (is he Smokie? if not, what's his name?).

Did the vet say *why* he wants to keep your kitty at the hospital? You probably know that a urinary blockage in a male cat is potentially fatal. It could be that, given that your kitty blocked twice in 4 days, the vet is concerned about the chances of another blockage. Personally, if it were my kitty, I would be ok with keeping him at the vet unless you have a 24-hour emergency clinic that you could get to if your kitty blocks again.

That said, you have the right to an explanation about what treatments he's getting there that you couldn't be giving at home.

Have they done an ultrasound and/or x-rays to check for stones? Those are a very common cause of blockages, and they could also explain the blood in the pee.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Hi Smokie,
I agree with Spirite, that the vet wants to keep him there, tells me he/she's concerned about your boy, and want to keep him monitered for any life threatening situations!

When a male cat blocks, and doesn't get to a vet, it can cause a very painful...end...ðŸ˜*

Once they block, they are more prone to having it happen again...

What you need to find out, is what type of Crystals/Stones your boy is dealing with...one type can often be controlled with a diet change (will dissolve), the other kind will require surgery (doesn't dissolve), than will still need to be on a specific diet, to keep them from forming again.

Both kinds will need antibiotics tho'...
The blood in his urine shows that what he's experiencing, is causing damage inside his bladder and urethra, and is very painful for him.

Wishing you and your boy, a Safe, and Speedy recovery!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts