Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble getting Kiera to use her scratching post exclusively - she DOES use it... but she also likes my couch. It's really frustrating because it's not like she doesn't know how to use the post.

I tried putting sticky paw strips on the couch, but that backfired: Kiera just found it interesting, got the corner in her mouth, and pulled the whole thing off and was just chewing it. I tried pressing her paw on it so she'd feel how it's sticky and uncomfortable, but she didn't seem to care!

Any other advice to get her to stop pulling threads out of my couch? Since it's not a chewing problem, I am guessing the bitter apple sprays won't do much, right?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
They make a few different kinds of cat repellent sprays...I've never used any, so I can't tell you if they work or not. They also make electrostatic strips that are supposed to be unpleasant for cats, as well. If she has one favorite spot to scratch, you could try making it inaccessible (like by putting her scratching post in front of it or blocking her access with one of those mats with the little raised bumps, which are panful to walk on). You might also try making the scratching post more appealing by spraying it with one of those catnip sprays.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts