Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this topic is probably talked to death, and I am really sorry for resurrecting it :oops:

My husband and I had adopted a 9 year-old cat from the Humane Society about a month now. He was really sick for about the first week and half, but is doing great now. Anyway, he is really close to us - kneading, following us, sleeping with/on/by us...etc. But whenever we go out and come home, we find him hiding under the couch and won't come out. Or in the morning, he wakes up with me and while I am off doing chores, he will wander under the couch... What gives? Does he hate me? Not comfortable yet? *Sigh* It's so heartbreaking sometimes....but patience I know I have! :wink:

·
Registered
366 Posts
First - congratulations on your new kitty :D

From what you describe, I don't think he hates you at all - in fact, it sounds like he really loves you both. I'd be more concerned if he was ALWAYS under the couch. He probably - for some reason - finds that he feels safe and comforted by being under the couch. Maybe it is cool when he is hot, or warm when he is chilly, or it's nice and quiet. Maybe in his previous home, under the couch was the only spot to avoid people or things he didn't like - or were trying to get him.

My cat definitely has a "safety" spot in our house that she runs to whenever something scary happens (people walking with shoes on, people coughing, any movement on or near the recliner, the ceiling fan turns on, etc...) and she will not come out until she feels completely safe.

Definitely sounds like a time-will-heal kinda thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....

ospunkyo - Thanks for the reassurance, I really needed it, and most definately appreciating it. He isn't always under the couch, so that is a good sign, I think. We keep the apartment at a constant temp, so I don't know what else is wrong. It's fairly quiet during the day, only me and the day-to-day sounds of chores and what not. He never hid, not even day one of him being home. It's just that lately, this past week he has started doing this weird act. *Shrugs* I will have the faith that time will heal, and thanks again for the reassurance :) *hugs*

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Twinkie is kind of a hider around my parents house but not in my old apt. I think with time your cat will come out and not hide so much anymore once he knows everything is fine and dandy 100%. Even if he does hide when he is bored or just when your making noises, at least its not all the time and at least you have a lap kitty too. My cat Twinkie is still not a lap kitty, one day though :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts