Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right...

MowMow's been doing pretty great since I upped his food. He put on some weight and SEEMS back to normal... until this morning.

I woke up and he wasn't in bed. I found him in the closet staring listlessly into space. I coaxed him out but he laid down in front of the heat vent and didn't come begging for breakfast. I offered him his and he lapped at it a little bit and wandered into the bedroom back to his heating vent.

I coaxed him onto the bed and he fell asleep on the pink fuzzy blanket so I shut him in so the kitten wouldn't bother him.

I came home for lunch and he was yeowing to get let out. He is pretty active but still doesn't want to eat. He circles it and looks interested but after a few laps he walks away.

I ran to the grocery store and got him some tuna. I mixed it in with his regular canned food and he's eating now but REALLY slowly and if I walk past him or move around at all he stops and walks away. Then I have to put it right in front of him again.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He ate all 3 meals yesterday, cleaned the bowl each time.

He did pee twice today and pooped once.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be. It's times like this that I wish I was like those pet owners who really don't pay attention to their animals. Days like this would come and go and I wouldn't even notice......

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sneezing! He's sneezed like 3 times since I got home. I guess that would explain his lethargy and difficulty in eating! Something as simple as a cold I can handle. :p

Serving him lots of little meals with the tuna mixed in to keep him eating and keeping an eye on the kitten so he doesn't dive bomb him and bother him.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Could be. It's times like this that I wish I was like those pet owners who really don't pay attention to their animals. Days like this would come and go and I wouldn't even notice......
I know what you mean. I notice EVERYTHING! And it's making me a crazy woman! "why didn't he eat that? Why didn't he come to me this morning? Why isnt he playing? Did he even use the litterbox today????? CRAZY I tell ya!
But, have you tried earthborn chicken in the green can? When I can't get my three interested in their food they dive in for this, circling around meowing until it's in front of them. Tuna never really did it for them. Also have you tried giving him a little nutria-cal? I'm currently trying this to help put some weight on Bocelli. He eats, but never really gains weight. Doesn't loose any either. ( been to the vet, he's only 11 months old ):catsm

·
Registered
978 Posts
I was going to say it's probably just a cold or something. If it continues, take him to the vet. Otherwise, don't worry. We all feel bad every once in a while.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"why didn't he eat that? Why didn't he come to me this morning? Why isnt he playing? Did he even use the litterbox today????? CRAZY I tell ya!
THis is absolutely and completely me. He's still not eating full meal amounts at once but that might be because I'm giving him mini meals every couple of hours.

A little improvement, he came bugging me at normal meal time. At least he's on the move.

Yes, I came home at lunch and stayed home to nursemaid a slightly sick cat.....

·
Registered
978 Posts
THis is absolutely and completely me. He's still not eating full meal amounts at once but that might be because I'm giving him mini meals every couple of hours.

A little improvement, he came bugging me at normal meal time. At least he's on the move.

Yes, I came home at lunch and stayed home to nursemaid a slightly sick cat.....
If I meow, will you come take care of me when I'm sick?

My little kitten is growing so fast. I've found that she eats certain foods like crazy and others not so much. Of course, I picked a food she doesn't care for after giving her her first shot. I was convinced she was having a reaction because she didn't lick her plate clean.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If your feeding more frequent meals then that's probably why he isnt scarfing down all his meals. My babies have reacted that way too.
This morning Bocelli came up for his morning cuddle and I noticed he felt heavier on my chest. I think the nutri-cal is working.........very happy! I mix it in his food, it's the only way I can get him to take it. You might consider it. He seems more active since I started giving it to him as well. I will always have this supplement in my cabinet for now on.
Hope your little Mow Mow is doing better.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Scottd. My nurturing side doesn't extend beyond cats and the occasional puppy.

He seems to be feeling aces this morning. He joined me in the early hours for cuddles and woke me up sucking on my ear and drooling on me. I still had tuna left so I buried some in his breakfast and he ate the whole bowl with gusto.

He was playful and goofy after breakfast, rolling around on the bed and trilling..enticing me to play with him. He dropped two ounces after the whole ordeal which upsets me since he was still down .6 from his original weight. Back to the starting line to put weight on him.......

I put my sewing machine on craigslist hoping it will sell quickly. I'll use that money to have his blood test done/tooth extracted immediately instead of waiting until January (which is how long it would take me to save it up out of my paycheck).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I 'm glad he's doing better and at least he is eating.. I was going to suggest some smellier food like Wellness Beef & Salmon

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, he's back to acting sick. He ate a hearty 4 oz of evo for breakfast with 1/4c of water added but barely touched lumch or dinner(and barfed up all the dinner he ate) he ate about an ounce of raw beef from my linch and kept that down.

Still sneezing and lethargic and pathetic. I KNOW I need to do a blood test to know what's going on but I cant pay for it right now. i tried for the pet care loan and didn't qualify. I listed some stuff on Craigslist that will cover the cost but no luck yet. I'm really freaking out. i had ONE email about my sewing machine but she hasn't mailed back yet. The vet felt he was in perfect health… then why is he ACTING sick?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, just got off Tj phone with my mom. She immediately and awed until I started the hysterical crying. Hurricane Sandy permitted she'll wire the money straight into my bank today(tomorrow at the latest).

The receptionist starts answering phones @ 9 so l call then. I put him in the box and he had more diarrhea. Offered him some super soupy canned(trying to get fluids in him) but be wasn't at all interested.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
How's he doing now? It seems like both times he ate something that gave him a tummy ache. Margaux gets like that - listless, not eating much, generally looking sort of miserable, then she has diarrhea - when she eats a stray dry leaf that I missed while sweeping or that blew onto the deck while I wasn't looking. Could he have gotten into something that he shouldn't have eaten?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
How is MowMow? Give him lots of kisses from me and my gang sending healing headbutts soothing purrs to him as well.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, he and I both fell asleep after the vets. Neither of us slept much the past few days.

He had a fever of 104 when we got to the vet. They gave him SubQ fluids because he was dehydrated. I'm not surprised since he hadn't eaten much in a few days AND had diarrhea.

They didn't want to do a blood test until they get the fever down and the infection under control so they jumpstarted him with an antibiotic shot and gave me some to give him at home. They gave me an appetite stimulant (boy does that stuff work). He goes back Thursday morning for more fluids if needed ( don't think he'll need them again) and a blood test.

The Sub Q fluids did more for him than anything because within a really short time he was walking around perkier than he had been all weekend. Exactly 50 minutes after I gave him the appetite stimulator he went bonkers and started bugging me for dinner. He sucked down everything I gave him and begged for more yesterday. As soon as we got home he started haunting the bathroom sink so I put a food dish in it and put the faucet on super low (same thing as the water fountain, don't know why it's so much more appealing to MowMow) and he drank and drank and drank and drank. In 5 years of living with him I've never seen him drink that much at one time.

At bed time I put a spare litter pan in my bedroom and locked the kitten out (he likes to dive bomb MowMow at night) so Mow could rest comfortably. He peed twice during the night. This morning when I let him out he made a solid BM after eating (finished every bite). He seems a bit weak still but he's not like he was where he would walk 2 feet and lay down to rest. Today he actually jumped up into the window when I opened the blinds and sat up looking outside.

I'll run home for lunch today so I can check on him.

Thanks for the concern. I'm looking forward to the blood test on Thursday and seeing what the heck is going on.

To clarify the money bit..... My family has a small business venture and we each get paid from it every November. I called mom and requested that money a few days early and that she wire it instead of mailing a check. She DID however toss in an extra 200 of "just in case" cash to make sure MowMow was ok. I have a saint of a mother, seriously.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts