Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad I ran across this Forum and I hope I can get some cat owner input on my situation.

I have a cat named Callie that is about 1 1/2 yrs. old. I had her spayed about 3 weeks ago. She was spraying terribly and I was under the impression that spaying would keep her from doing that. It hasn't. I'm really upset about this. She stays indoors and I am so tired of everything in my place getting sprayed all the time.

Now, I called my Vet back about a week ago and I was told that she should stop, that she may have remaining hormones that is causing the spraying. Then they tried to say she may have a Urinary Tract Infection and that a UTI could cause her to spray. I will make sure, but I am thinking that she doesn't have a UTI.

I have researched online about how sometimes during a spay, the Vet can accidently leave a piece of the overies or uterus or something like that behind and that can cause the cat to still go into heat cycles (which she seems to still be doing also) and to spray. I read that another surgery could be the answer.

I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this. I'd like to know if there really is no UTI, if another surgery is probably my only option. Maybe some cats just continue to spray and act like they are in heat after spaying and it's normal??? I've read it's not, but maybe someone in this forum has info or a similiar experience?

Thank you so much to anyone that can offer info or opinions on this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, me again.

Well, I was able to speak directly to my Vet this morning and got some info from him. I completely trust my Vet as he is family and has been running his own pratice for many, many years.

He told me that female cats, as well as males, can certainly still spray after being spayed, however that now it is a behavior thing. He said she is marking her territory most likely due to us being a multiple cat household and also having some additions in the past few months.

He suggested we clean/spray any areas that she marks with a disinfectant that will completely remove the odors. He mentioned that likely in time, she will stop spraying. He also mentioned that if we choose, there is a medical option we can do. He said there is a hormone thearpy treatment that he can do that will most likely stop the spraying temporarily, if not permanently. He said our cat would take half a pill a day or something like that for 2 weeks and then we would see how it works.

We are having problems financially, so for now we are gonna wait and see what happens but I thought I'd share this info with others.

Also, I thought I'd introduce my kittys since I'm posting here. LoL! We have 6 right now. 5 females, 1 male. All are fixed except our newest kitten that isn't quite old enough yet.

The male is big and long haired, part persian. He is white and orange colored. His name is Simba. He is actually my Brother's cat but we are keeping him for a while do to a personal situation with my Brother. He is a couple years old or so, we are not positive.

As for the girls, we have Pepper, she is short haired, black and white, part siamese, and about 6 years old. We have Ashley who is short haired, all black, and almost 3 years old. We have Callie who is a Calico and is about 1 1/2 years old. We have Li Li who is a short haired completely white cat, part siamese and around 7 months old. Last but certainly not least, we have Domino. She is black and white, medium length hair, half persian and black and white. Domino is close to 4 months old.

Aside from the cats we have 2 ferrets. Both males, Simon and Milo. They get along well with the cats and enjoy playing with them.

Guess that's it for us. I'm glad to be here and I look forward to reading quite often in here. :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
First, welcome! You have quite a family! I wouldn't want to second guess your veterinarian. If she's urinating in the wrong place, this is often due to a UTI. Also, a cat neutered or spayed later in life is more likely to spray than one spayed or neutered around 6 months. I hope all is well soon! Perhaps Feliway would help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just one thought...cats will over mark objects that they have sprayed in the past. While they can be cleaned up so that a human can not smell it, a cat still can. A good enzyme cleaner available at any good pet store often takes care of this. Feliway is also good, but it is expensive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hormone therapy has a lot of bad side effects. While it was popular many years ago, very few vets use it anymore because of the dangers. There are many other drugs available that are safer. Of course, it's better to resolve the particular stresses that are *causing* her to spray instead of just doping her up.

Hopefully, as your vet says, it will stop on its own shortly. If it doesn't, let us know, because this forum has *lots* of great ideas!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know anything about spraying in relation to spaying, but did have a problem, but with an adult cat, things i noticed, and did....

1) the cat will pee where it or another cat has peed before, very hard to break that.
2) cleaning with the enzyme stuff only works if you spend 2 days and about 15 gallons of the stuff (at $25/gallon).... replace the carpet and clean the floor underneath with the enzyme stuff
3) get a littermaid, and use arm and hammer litter

we moved out of our apartment and into a house that never had a cat. been smooth sailing ever since.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the advice. :)

I'm certainly gonna hold off on any hormone treatment, I think she will stop on her own, I'm hoping anyway. LoL

Actually, I haven't caught her in the last couple of days spraying, I don't know if she is doing it when I'm away but I'm hoping she isn't. Time will tell I guess.

I know having multiple cats can cause many behaviors, it's hard to deal with but I couldn't imagine not having all of my babies.

Once again, thank you all so much for the replies, you all are great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts