Cat Forum banner

Stinky cat breath

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Huge 
#1 ·
My two kitties have stinky cat breath. What is there to do haha. It really is unbearable.

#5 ·
once you rule out a dental/gums health problem,
get ProDen PlaqueOff Animal - this stuff really works :thumb
if the price ever comes way down for the human version,
I'll be buying that as well
:wink:

http://www.plaqueoff.com/proden_plaqueo ... animal.htm
http://www.amazon.com/sweDencare-Plaque ... B000U8HN5W
http://www.entirelypets.com/plaqueoff.html

I dose half a level scoop (about 1/32 of a teaspoon) per cat each day.
it looks like Oregano. I simply dust a bit on their raw dinner,
and my cats lick it right up along with their meal.
If you dry kibble feed, this stuff will get eaten as long as
your cats polish off (and lick up) the bowl each day.
if you leave a never ending pile of kibble for cats to free feed,
(a practice to be avoided) then this won't get dosed properly.

after 2 Months of daily dosing,
both my cats teeth went from yellow to white
and their breath is completely unnoticeable.
I can't confirm if it helps with tartar,
until their Vet checkup next year.

#6 ·
petspy- I do daily brushing with enzymatic toothpaste, but I am very interested in adding this "plaqueoff" to my daily regime. Nito's teeth look good from the brushing, but his breath can still get smelly. Do you know if it can be found in US (specifically Wisconsin) pet stores? Or would you recommend ordering it online instead?

Now, I was told in Animal Sciences last semester that brushing of the teeth can add years to your cat's life. I wonder if this product also adds to that.

#7 ·
my cats won't let me brush their teeth, so between plaqueoff and large dry kibble - I'm hoping their dental health will be maintained. I do not use any water additives (to avoid toxins) like many others here recommend. I still attempt to message their gums with a rubber finger brush in hopes they'll one day trust me enough. as a rule, I do not buy anything locally except heavy food and litter, or large bulky items like a litter cave. pet stores tend to mark up items like plaqueoff by 50-100%. Since plaqueoff is imported, and few know about it in North America, I highly doubt any B&M sells it in Wisconsin :wink: the vendor link provided gives $5 off with coupon code CATDOG5 at checkout, so essentially you get it cheap while tax and shipping free. you'll get the small container in a plastic envelope that fits in a mailbox, so you don't have to be home to sign for it.

#8 ·
Just a note - we've been using PlaqueOff for more than a year, Gracie's teeth and gums look very great, and her breath is fine - 'ordinary' kitty breath :lol: . I had to search for it online because none of our pet stores carry it. Every once in a while I also brush her teeth with the enzyme toothpaste that you can get in the regular pet stores.

Fran

#9 ·
petspy, fran- the plaque-off sounds excellent. I think I am going to buy it. While Nito's teeth are still in pretty good shape (young age + brushing= good teeth), they were once not-so-good. They were stained pretty bad, and his gums were very red for a cat his age (4 months at the time) which is why my vet recommended brushing in the first place. But his breath leaves room for improvement. I guess that's a result of wet food. On the plus side, feeding wet food means he'll easily eat the plaque-off sprinkles. Thanks for the coupon code, petspy!

If any of you haven't tried pit'r pats, and you happen to come across them- try it! The stuff is like kitty-crack, at least for Nito. If I leave it anywhere in my room, he'll find it for sure, and make a huge mess of excavating it from wherever it's hidden. Luckily he can't open the tin. But it DOES make his breath smell like Ramen soup instead of, well, poopy. Hehe.

#10 ·
I dare not use the 'plaque off' because Toby has a borderline hyperthyroid. I use Oral Logic Gel instead .. Toby likes it and usually licks it off my finger. I haven't been using it long so don't know how effective it will be yet.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=49

#12 ·
petspy said:
please explain what a hyperthyroid condition has to do with eating a pinch of seaweed dust :?
Seaweed is a source of iodine, which in turn is important for thyroid function.

Although there's no evidence to suggest that Plaque off would cause hyperthyroidism in a healthy cat, the company recommends that you do not use their product on a cat with hyperthyroidism.

Toby does not have hyperthyroidism but he does have an enlarged thyroid gland and some slightly funky liver enzyme results normally present in cats with an overactive thyroid. His vet is presently monitoring his T4 levels closely. They are at the moment within normal range .. but as you can imagine I don't want to do anything that will tip Toby 'over the edge' if you see what I mean. Hence using Plaque-Off is out of the question.

This is what they say on their website
-----------------------

Can PlaqueOff cause hyperthyroidism?

Hyperthyroidism is a very common disorder of older cats (usually cats over the age of 8 years). Dogs are rarely affected by this condition. It is caused by an increased production of thyroid hormone from the thyroid glands, situated in the neck. Thyroid Hormone has an important role in controlling the body’s metabolic rate so animals with hyperthyroidism tend to burn up energy too rapidly and typically suffer weight loss despite having an increased appetite and increased food intake.

Iodine is important for thyroid function and is naturally present in seaweed, including the type used in ProDen PlaqueOff™. There is no evidence to suggest that high levels of iodine actually causes hyperthyroidism, as the body has feedback mechanisms to cope with varying levels. Only very low or incredibly high levels would pose a problem, and PlaqueOff doesn’t fall into these categories. 1 scoop of ProDen PlaqueOff™ Animal contains 131.1 microgrammes of Iodine.

If your pet is known to suffer from hyperthyroidism then we suggest that you do not use ProDen PlaqueOff™. If you are unsure then please contact your veterinary professional for further advice.

#14 ·
Arianwen sometimes has stinky "fish breath", even though her vet says she has healthy teeth.
I think it's her food. It doesn't last, and most of the time her breath is barely noticeable, even pleasant smelling.
Also, the treats she loves are tartar control, if that means anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.