Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem? The corner bedroom where I keep Barnaby's litter boxes kind of stinks and the odor flows into the rest of the house.

A while back I cleaned the carpet (unfortunately a thick pile carpet) and then put down a 4 X 8 piece of plywood with vinyl flooring adhered to it to set the litter boxes on, hoping that this would keep the odors from getting into the carpet but they still do. I have a plug in air cleaner with a pet odor filter right next to the boxes but that doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can you open the window? I find just a half hour of fresh air really helps in my kitties' room. You could try one of the fresh air candles. They are unscented but claim to absorb ordors. I burnt a vanilla scented candle this weekend to get rid of some of the cat smell, but some cats might not like the smell.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
The Nilodor system should rid the room of odor completely! Here's a link:

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping/st ... F313.shtml

Obviously there are many other brands, but I know of people who have had colostomies who used this. I was able to buy it at the drugstore, but I want the system, because it's automatic. Good luck!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use a little bit of Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer mixed into their litter every day and I find that helps eliminate the smell.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was concerned about any fragrance because I have heard that cats don't like perfumes. I've learned that he doesn't like scented litter, but the "stick up" that I have in the litter room doesn't seem to bother him.

Is this Nilodor system pretty strong in fragrance and/or can you control the output of the device in case it is too strong? It sounds like it is worth trying.

I've tried some of those Glade Plug Ins but even at their lowest setting they are overpowering.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try to find an ENZYME cleaner. You can clean out the box and then lightly spay some on the litter. Not too much though. It won't hurt the kitties. This helps me, especially since thier litterbox is in my bedroom!!! Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Nilodor, as I know it, does not have a strong scent of its own. However, you can buy the fragrant ones, like citrus, etc. However, I would get the canisters that say fresh or clean smell. You can decide how often it will go off. The kind I bought was not meant to substitute a good odor for a bad odor, but to erase the odor entirely.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I was just wondering if you used bag liners in the litterbox. I think these kind of help to prevent the pee smell from actually absorbing into the litterbox. It is also good to wash the litterbox with soap and water every so often.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My kitten actually doesn't like those liners cause his claws get caught on them when he's scratching around (on the sides, not the bottom). But I know a lot of people that use them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Litter boxes? How often do you clean the litter box? If I'm home when he "goes" I tilt the box to one side, remove the urine clump with a small plastic bag on my hand (the same way dog owners pick up poop), & spray sanitizer on the bottom of the box & wipe clean with toilet paper (which I flush). I also flush the poops promptly, that way their odor doesn't get into the litter.
Keeping up with it like this, the box never really has any waste in it, & all I do is keep the level topped up with fresh litter. It stays so clean you could almost put your hand in there. Almost :wink:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was just wondering if you used bag liners in the litter box.
I tried to use liners once.... What a mess!!! My cat's claws kept getting stuck in them and if they dug too hard the liner would come off the box and the litter would spill into the box itself.

I have seen the new liners that have holes in the bottoms and when you lift them, it sifts out the clean litter and leaves the dirty stuff in the liner. They look pretty neat but I think I'd have the same problem with them as well.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I scoop the litter box morning and evening, I am gone to work for 8 hours a day. I have tried pan liners but I had a problem with it tearing or getting holes. I change the litter once a month.

It doesn't seem that the litter itself smells. I just changed the litter 3 days ago and it's actually the room that just seems to absorb the smell, most likely the carpet.

I think I will try cleaning the carpet and then using the Nilodor system. It sounds like it's worth giving a try. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those liners are just no use to us, they just get torn to shreds in the litter box. I totally clean the litter boxes every 2 days, I'm always worried that scooping the dirty bits still leaves the clean bits with a smell.

I also have quite a large part of where the kitties go to the toilet covered with vinyl. You'd be surprised mucky it can get around that area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found out that brand-name cat litter works A **** LOT BETTER than those no name ones!

When I first bought timmy, I also bought a $7 litter (small bag) at the petshop. Only after 4 month did the litter started to smell!!! (I know I'm suppose to change the whole thing every month, but then I thought, no smell yet, why change?)

and then, I bought this cheap cat litter ($3 for a big jar) from my local supermarket, and whoosh!! the litter stinks up the whole house after a mere few days!!

after the no name litter is half used up, I bought the brand name one and added half bag in, the smell's just gone. I really don't know what the magic ingredient, but what an incredible difference!

what i'm sayin is, try another type of cat litter, they do work very differently.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually I am using a good cat litter and it's not cheap. He is also picky about his litter so I can't use just any brand. Still I have noticed this problem through 3 different kinds of litter.

The litter itself doesn't smell when the clumps are scooped out. I think the carpet and other things in the room over time seem to absorb the odor when he uses the box. The dust from the litter also accumulates on everything in the room over a period of time and it's not so easy to just wipe down because I keep a lot of things in that room. It kind of like an extra room for storage.

I've ordered the Nilodor system. I'll let everyone know how that works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's what I've done.

I use Feline Pine, and that really helps the odor, then I have Stink Free where you spray the waste before you flush/ dispose of it. That cuts the odor down. Then I have this really good stuff you spray on the carpet that gets rid of pet smells. It's Arm & Hammer vacuum free pet fresh foam carpet deodorizer. It has a really nice smell and gets rid of the odor.

I hope you find some kind of solution!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have any recommendations of a brand of enzyme cleaner that could be used to clean the carpet? Does this Arm & Hammer stuff mentioned by Holly contain enzymes?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts