Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have one neutered cat and two litter boxes in our spare bedroom. I have tried several different litters since we got the cat and I seem to have the same smelly litter box problem. I am VERY meticulous about keeping the litter boxes clean and scoop 2-3 times a day with a small partical scooper especially right after he has a BM.
We do have a litter locker that gets dumped once a week and scrubbed clean weekly.

I completely change the litter and clean the boxes every two weeks with bleach. No smell until he uses it. I have 2 air fresheners in the room and when I walk by the bedroom door all I smell is kitty litter. 8O Could someone please tell me if I am doing something wrong or is this just the way it is having a cat? I don't want any kitty smell! Am I being unreasonable?

I'm currently using Arm and Hammer clumping litter.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I personally hate clay litter. I feel like no matter what kind I use, it absorbs the urine and that's all I smell. I've switched to Tidy Cats Crystals and love it. It doesn't last as long as it says, but I usually don't have problems with odors until its really urine soaked (gross, sorry).

I've been wanting to try Shweat or whatever its called. I think for the price I'm paying for the Crystals just to go through them as often as normal litter (instead of once a month like it says) I can find something better.

Hope that's helpful :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to use the Fresh Step Crystals and had the same stinky problem along with another.......my cat gets loose stools and crystals aren't good for that problem. 8O

I'm willing to pay any amount of money for a good litter, but what is a good litter?

Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have 3 critters and have had good luck with Ever Clean litter. Also, you might try a litter additive called "Nature's Miracle". It comes in dry flakes that you add to your litter. I think this stuff has something to get rid of the ammonia in cat urine, which causes the smell if I recall correctly. Is there any chance that your cat is going outside the litter box?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any chance that your cat is going outside the litter box?
No, because when the boxes are clean the smell is gone. It only takes one time for him to use it for me to smell kitty litter again. It isn't poop or urine that I smell, its that strong kitty litter smell.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have a thought......
Possibly the bleaching of the box is adding to your problem.
I bet you that the bleach absorbs into the plastic....then when
kitty pee's "watch out" P.U. 8O

It might be worth a try to buy new boxes and just wash them with soap and water from now on....just my .02 cents.

I use whatever litter is on sale and have never had any odor problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2 cents....

I keep Sid's litter box in our computer room - and in this room lives Meatball, our Guinea Pig. So, it is usually really stinky 8O since they are dirty little baby boys! *LOL* Since we bought the True Air Odor Eliminator the room smells like....clean air! *Gasp* 8O *Wow*

But that works for us...and oh, those Gonzo bags of Lava rocks works really well too!

Picture of the Odor Eliminator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts