Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 week old kitten when I pet him, he will bite and dig his claws into me. I know its him playing but how do I teach him that is not how I want him to play with me?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
When my kittens bite hard or scratch when playing with my hand, I just remove my hand. They seem to eventually understand that there's a limit to how rough they can be before their "toy" gets taken away.

Keeping nails trimmed also really helps!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried that. Also when im in bed or on the couch if I move my feet he will jump on them and bite them. He also does this to my eyes in bed when I blink. I cant move when im sleeping or else he flies on top lol

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well, how long have you been trying it? Isn't this a relatively new kitten? He's not going to learn immediately. It took my kittens a couple weeks/months to really learn what behavior was or was not acceptable.

It sounds like he's just being a playful kitten, pouncing everything that moves. Mine did that a lot when they were younger and still do it on occasion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ive tried that. Also when im in bed or on the couch if I move my feet he will jump on them and bite them. He also does this to my eyes in bed when I blink. I cant move when im sleeping or else he flies on top lol
Oh I'm there with you. The pouncing he only does to my feet when I'm in bed and he tends to get bored after a couple (or I have a Pokemon on my bedside cabinet plushie that I throw into the hall and he goes after it, epic pokemon battle in my hall :) )

With the scratching/gentle biting when playing I just scream 'OWWWW' in a totally over the top way, as if it really hurt. He will do it again afterwards, but gentler, so I will again, shout oww. Then after that he tends to only use his paws, not claws, to bat my hand.
He does scratch still but he does respond to the 'oww' so hopefully if I keep it up the claws will stay away :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you're playing and he does it, stop playing. Get up and walk away, game over. If you're minding your own business and he does it, ignore it.

That's what I did with Mimi when she was a kitten and it worked like a charm. She was also left out of the bedroom at night until she outgrew the need to pounce on feet. I know that some kitties will cry, but she had her sister and mama to keep her company.

Oh, and she was six months old when we got her. You may have a long road ahead with your kitten. :) But I promise you, your kitten will grow out of it, in time. Right now, he's just using his instincts and figuring out what they mean.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the first kitten I ever had that did this. Growing up I had one who would chase your feet as you walked up the stairs..I hated that lol

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
It is kitten behavior and appropriate for his age. By age-appropriate, I mean at this age he is learning how to hunt for food and defend his territory by honing his "mad skillz". It is instinct, and while we cannot fully remove instinctual urges, we can usually modify them.
Stop playing.
Unceremoniously dump him off your lap or shove him away from you.
No eye contact, complete ignore.
I *love* the shouting-in-pain as the noise does get their attention.
If he won't quit, he either needs a time-out to cool down or you need to GIVE him the attention he wants .... just give him MORE attention than he bargained for.

I call that "Give them what they want until they don't want it any more."
Don't hurt him, but sort of smother him with attention; wrapped up in your arms, hugged closely to your chest, muwah-kisses all over, baby-talk and just keep holding him and holding him, making him endure it. When he finally acts like he wants to get away, hold him just a little longer and *then* let him go. Most cats will stalk/run off, stop to turn back and give you a *dirty* look and then go off and do their own thing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I will try that. I wish this rule applied for the dogs. No amount of attention is too much sadly. Its not fun to wake up to a kitten chewing your hair off...

Right now hes climbing up my pant leg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts