Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Sorry in advance if this gets long.
I've had my cat for about a year and a half how. Over the last month, she's started peeing on one particular blanket in the house. I was originally told to go to a vet and get her checked for a UTI. She had a senior panel done on Wednesday, and I'm waiting for the results. I told the veterinarian how she never used to do this, and she only does it on one very particular spot on the blanket, and ONLY when I'm not in the room. She does it if I'm at school or work, but today, she peed on it while I was in the shower.
I believe it's behavioral, and she's made it a part of her daily routine. When I'm home and in the room, she has no issues using the little box. At first, I thought it was an issue with the little box and switched it to a senior litter box, but that didn't stop the issue. The vet agrees that it's probably behavioral as well.
My question is how do I stop this habit? I've used several different cleaners that are supposed to stop cats from peeing on a spot using smells, like citrus or mint, but she doesn't care. I got a calming diffuser, but that didn't change anything. She's an only cat, so she isn't sharing the little box with other cats. And as I said previously, she has no issue using her litter box when I'm around.
All I ask is please no, "it could be UTI" comments because I've already had her tested and I'm just waiting for the results at this point. While everyone around me, including the veterinarian, things it's behavioral, what should I do to break this habit? Thank you all so much in advance!

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
I would take the blanket from the dryer and put it away until this get solved. I am curious to see what she does when the blanket is no longer there. There is a litter that seems to have good results called Cat Attract

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey GW. How old is your cat? Some cats can develop a problem with incontinence as they get older. Some cats just like peeing on soft things. Good idea removing the blanket to see if she stops. What kind of litter to do use... coarse or fine, scented or unscented, clumping or non-clumping? How often do you scoop and change-out the litter box? How far is the litterbox from the blanket? If it's a distance, you could put another litterbox close to where the blanket was and see what she does.

·
Registered
662 Posts
First thing to do is make that blanket disappear. That might solve the problem. If not, there are next steps you can take but I always just do the most simple thing first.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
If lemon peels sprinkled all over it don't discourage her, you could resort to an automatic sprayer. SCCCTt! is a good one, Amazon, or other stores may carry it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts