Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rayden, my almost 4 month old kitten has got himself into this lovely habit of holding down the other kittens and mounting them. He growls and screams as he does it. I pulled him off the one kitten earlier and noticed his...manly bits were hanging out. I booked him in for his neuter Tuesday, I cannot wait until he is 6 months old to neuter him if this has started already.

Until then, how can I rectify this issue? He will not leave the other cats alone. I cannot lock him up because all he does is scream and it keeps every one from sleeping. Should I be concerned about spraying at this point? I really dont want him to start spraying. He started the humping habit the other day and hasnt let up since...now thats all he does, its like hes having a party and every ones invited....to be his victim.

He is ONLY doing this to the other 2 kittens around his age, he hasnt dared done this to my 7 month female, or two adult neutered males.

Please give me any ideas

·
Registered
719 Posts
At around ~3.5 months old, I noticed Newton already trying to 'mount' his mom (I shudder just thinking about it) - I got him neutered the moment the vet said it was ok to do so.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I don't think there is any way to discourage him other than separating him from the other cats, since this is a primal urge that is apparently very strong in this kitten. Spend as much time in the room with him as you can, and if you can get him to play while you are in there and get him as tired out as possible that would be ideal.

Unfortunately, it looks like no one will be sleeping much at your house until after next Tuesday when the family jewels are removed. :patback

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
He's not ready to spray yet, but get him fixed now, no need to wait until he's 6 mos. A lot of neutering is done early these days at 2 mos. or at 2lbs.

Distract him and tire him out with some interactive play when he goes after the other kittens.....one of those fishing pole type of toys like "Da Bird".

Keep him separated from the other kittens......I would put him in with the two males or the female (if spayed) for company....they will straighten this studdy boy out if he tries to hump them.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Just a note for everyone who's said neuter him ASAP, I agree, but many places in Canada don't neuter until 5-6 months. There isn't a single place in my city (Edmonton) which offers a s/n under 5 months for males and 6 months for females to the general public.

Some will do it in special cases (like this one) depending on your vet...most won't.

Personally I'd separate him and give him as much play time as possible. Ignore the howling, he'll get over it eventually. Let him play with the other kittens while you're there to supervise.

Also, unless the females are in heat, it's more likely to be over excitement than actual sexual behavior. He's just all full up of hormones and has no idea what to do with them. Poor little boy.

An intact male would only become aroused in the presence of a receptive female.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never said I was waiting until he was 6 months old to neuter him. I had the appointment booked for Tuesday but I bumped it to tomorrow (friday). He is under close supervision until his nards come off tomorrow, he had his pre exam today.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My vet told me 7-14 days for the hormones to be worked out. I guess in the end as long as he is neutered it doesnt matter

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The length of time it takes to hormones to run out depends on the cat, if he's an adult, ect.

In your case it may be as few as 10 days because he's young and this has just started. In other cases, like a fully adult male tom, it can take up to three months.

Basically cross your fingers and hope, lol. And in the mean time exercise that little boy like crazy so he can work his crazies out!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He was neutered today I just picked him up now hes settling in at home. $125 and hopefully that is peace of mind that he wont continue his non stop humping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts