Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you buy the big can because it's cheapest that way...but they don't eat the WHOLE can in one sitting. I bought one of the those nifty can lids at the pet store. So I cover the can and toss it in the fridge until the next feeding. But they won't eat it cold out of the fridge so I have to heat it up. But not too hot...just enough so it's not cold.

Questions 1: Is it okay to store the food IN the tin can? For some reason I thought I heard that you shouldn't do this with people food. My partner says no that it's fine. I thought I'd see what you had to say.

Question 2: Is heating up the food okay? Any bacteria issues?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Thank you for your question.
I am going to check into the large size cans soon too.
I will feel better if I go buy some tupperware to put the food in...
Bosco will not eat anything if it has been microwaved, even for 5 seconds.

So I am lucky that way....he eats it cold.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my two older ones don't seem to like it after I heat it up either. But they won't eat it cold. If I take it out early to let it warm to room temp I worry about bacteria. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I can't find large cans where I live, but if I ever do, I'll probably divide it into daily rations and store it in those little 1/2 cup gladware containers (though it will be a bit difficult, since we only have a little dorm-sized refigerator).

When I give Assumpta food from the refrigerator, I mix some very hot tap water into it to take the chill off and boost the moisture content...it doesn't really warm the food too much, but she seems to eat it all anyhow (then again, Assumpta lives to eat, so she may not be impartial) :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I've heard that you shouldn't keep the food in the can, but I do it anyway :oops: . They go through it in a single day anyway.

I also need to microwave the food. They won't eat it if it is warm and won't eat if it's really cold. So it takes exactly 21 seconds to warm up three dishes for my kitties :lol: .

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Addison can be picky. Sometimes I heat it up for 10 seconds so it isn't really warm, but it isn't cold. It seems to work. I also give it to him cold sometimes and he doesn't seem to mind too much.

I also store it in the tin cans. I only use the 5-6oz cans though, and usually only give him 1/3 of a can at a time. Is it really that bad to store them in the cans?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I buy the 5 1/2 oz. size, and put a lid on and refrigerate. Precious doesn't care what the temperature is, but I take the chill off for Blueberry. They're both on diets, Precious to lose and Blueberry to gain, so they eat in two different rooms and Blueberry gets deluxe service! He's eating better, and no sign of any type of worm, but I'm going to send in a stool sample anyway. He's not gaining enough in comparison to his improved appetite since I changed to three meals a day a la Dr. Jean.

I don't think there's any problem with saving food in the can any more.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I store the bigger cans in the fridge too. I have two cats so it's only in there one night. Usually they are both fine with it being cold but occasionally I do put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. It does exactly what's posted above, takes the chill off but doesn't really warm it. I also mix it up right after just incase there is a warm spot on there...so it doesn't burn their mouth!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Y'know, occasionally at 5AM, I wish I had a microwave so that I didn't have to stand around waiting for the water to heat up...for me, it's either hot water or heat it in a pan. :?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Gudewife said:
Y'know, occasionally at 5AM, I wish I had a microwave so that I didn't have to stand around waiting for the water to heat up...for me, it's either hot water or heat it in a pan. :?
They are so cheap now. Sometimes I see them on sale for like 30 bucks! I can't imagine not having one! Geez, how spoiled we get! Remember when we had no microwaves, cordless phones, remote controls! :roll:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
<whistles, shuffles feet>

I still use a rotary phone :oops:

No microwave, dishwasher, blender, toaster, food processor, coffeemaker, either. :oops: Come to think of it, we don't have a furnace, either (we are on all-wood heat). We are really pathetic weenies.

OTOH, I do have an office computer and one air-conditioned room in the house for when I have a migraine (my husband insists on this), and we did get a washing machine last year because the business was keeping me too busy to do wash by hand like I used to.

But I still use a manual typewriter :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Gudewife, it sounds as if you are (because of your name and the lack of some appliances, etc.) that you might be Amish or other denomination that discourages those things. Would I be getting too personal to ask you if that's true? I keep a fire in the fireplace almost all winter to keep cozy and save on the gas bill. But microwaves, second hand or new, are practically being given away. Have you thought of a garage sale, or is this a matter of principle?

Don't answer if you'd prefer not to! :) When I first got married I bought almost everything secondhand. We were poorer than churchmice!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you do want any of that stuff for cheap, garage sales are your best friend! Hubby and I went yesterday and found some good stuff! He bought a box of electronic stuff that he may one day use, for $1.50, then when he surveyed the contents more closely at home, it had about $150 worth of model airplane motors!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
The reason food shouldnt be stored in open cans is because they are made of steal. On the inside and outside is a thin coating of stainless steal, when you open the can you break this seal. The steal inside then begins to rust- in the perfect atmosphere, cold damp fridge.

I go thru a 300g tin in one sitting so I have no worries 8)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Jeanie,

(apologies if this goes off-topic...)

No, I'm not Amish...the microwave is something I have literally no interest in, except at 5AM when Assumpta is crawling up my leg for breakfast. :roll: I still think they subtly change the molecular structure of food, and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

A while back, my husband and I realized that we could do without a lot of the modcons, especially stuff that we dubbed "middle technology," things that we could as easily do by hand (laundry, food preparation, stuff like that). We're gradually getting rid of our electricity dependence, though we still have some of the "high technology," like TV, computer, radio, and a vehicle...but little by little, we're gaining on a simpler life. We haven't bought heating oil in five years, and when the power goes out, everyone comes to our house to stay warm. Our refrigerator is one of those little dorm-style ones that fits perfectly in the slot made for a dishwasher, and we do have a large freezer because we grow our own meat and need the storage (I can't eat commercially cured meat, so we also have a smokehouse where I do bacon, ham, and sausages). Also, having been a historical reenactor and living history demonstrator, I came to the realization that most stuff isn't all that hard to do the "old-fashioned" way once you learn how to do it.

I am also famously cheap. My neighbor (with the collies) and I were talking one day about how we used to want nice things, but now we'll be driving down the road and see a chair out in a trash heap and say "Oooh, honey, let's stop and get that!" :lol: I picked up some fantastic old wooden bowls and a trencher (bread-rising bowl) at a flea market yesterday, too.

So, not Amish, just a little offbeat, that's all. If I had a job where I had to go to an office 8 hours a day, my life would probably be very different! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zalensia said:
The reason food shouldnt be stored in open cans is because they are made of steal. On the inside and outside is a thin coating of stainless steal, when you open the can you break this seal. The steal inside then begins to rust- in the perfect atmosphere, cold damp fridge.
So should I not be storing the food in the can??? Are cat food cans made out of the same thing? Am I feeding my cats rust?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
It probably depends on how long you store it. If it's only a day or two, it should be okay. I'm sure anything is possible, but I doubt if it will get rusty in just one day. Unless it is actually sitting in water. But if it's dry and sitting on the shelf in your fridge with a top on it, for a short amount of time, you should be okay.

I've been doing this for years and haven't had any problems. Did the same with our dogs food too.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Yeah for a a day or two it is fine.

Im qualified in basic food hygene and safety, one thing we learnt is even with a lid on it can rust, and the fridge is a nice damp place for it. But a day or two isnt a huge problem.

I still remember the videos we had to watch for this course... *shudders*

1 - 20 of 23 Posts