Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our kitchen doesn't have a door and I can't prevent our little Toka from not entering the kitchen while somebody's cooking. She is very curious and wants to check out the weird noises on the stove. I had this problem with our older cat at first but as soon as he tried jumping the flame terrifies him. The stove is electric here and It doesn't cause any fear to young Toka. She also seems to not mind the water gun and instead plays with they water I spray! Yelling "NO" & thumping a foot slowly works, which is what we do when she scratches the furniture but I am really worried about her jumping on the stove and gets hurt really bad in an eye blink!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
804 Posts
One of my friends uses the canned air spray that you use to clean electronics to keep her cats from where they don't belong. It seems to work better than the water for whatever reason. I haven't tried it myself but I figure it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
762 Posts
One of my friends uses the canned air spray that you use to clean electronics to keep her cats from where they don't belong. It seems to work better than the water for whatever reason. I haven't tried it myself but I figure it's worth a shot.
You have to be very careful, to not point the can AT the cat. That "air" is full of chemicals which could cause serious injury to kitty.

To OP: Give Toka an elevated space in the kitchen to call her own, where she can perch and see what is going on in the counter and stove area, safely. Give her a shelf on the wall, or a spot on top of the fridge or something. She wants to be up high, so she can see it all.

Then, when she jumps up onto the stove or counter, first gently put her down from there, then pick her up again and put her on her own Spot. She'll get the message after a few times and start going right to her own Spot after a while. Have patience, it can take some time for her to understand.

·
Registered
353 Posts
until he seems to be broken of the habit, I wouldn't leave a hot stove unattended.

maybe tin foil on the stove when it isn't in use? I haven't had success, but cats aren't supposed to like the sensation of foil on their feet. For mine, the noise outweighs the sensation and he loves it.

if he likes a water gun, maybe try a can of compressed air like for cleaning your keyboard will do the trick as a sound deterrent. They can be pretty startling.

Mine loves the kitchen table, but hasn't been on any counters or stove yet and he's almost 7 months old. I can't believe how lucky I've been. I'll be sure to keep him away from Toka so she doesn't give him any ideas!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She already sleeps over the top of the fridge but she wants to play with the steam from cooking I assume. Anyway.. I can't believe I am typing this... but she's fascinated watching Cheetah BBC wildlife Documentary HD on youtube while we cook. She will try to play with the cheetah's tails for hours!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Workout videos. Shepherd Book is fascinated watching people jump around on workout videos. Keeps his busy for ages.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Since the kitchen doesn't have a door, can you put her in another room instead?

I just say 'uh-uh' and put them down, and they soon learn not to come up while I'm cooking. Afterwards I always place a pot of water on the hot element

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same problem and ended up getting one of those ssscat things. It has a motion sensor and sprays air if you get within a metre of it. She's terrified of it and if she gets on the oven now she just walks along the edge careful not to set off the ssscat, sometimes she has a stare-off with it too. :) Maybe try that too? Ssscat has a few flaws though, sometimes it sprays randomly when nobody is close to it and sometimes it doesn't go off even when kitty is right in front of it. It usually works though and I usually don't even switch it on anymore.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We don't even try to 'educate the cat' anymore.

If we've used a certain outlet on the stove, we cover it with a water-filled pot so the cats can't stand on it and burn themselves. That's the easiest and cheapest way to deal with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's happened to my cats before, to be honest, if they stand on it and it hurts them, they won't do it again. I know it's a harsh lesson learnt but it's effective. I hate seeing any little thing hurting my cats but you can spend all the time in the world trying to prevent one thing and they'll just find something else that's dangerous to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts