Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i need some advice here....
ive recently let my 11 week old kitten have free run of the upstairs portion of the house when he is awake (and i am home to supervise him)
hes had this freedom for a week now.

when he has to pee, he knows exactly where to go, and has no problems...

but when he wants to poo, he goes to a corner of the room he is in, and starts meowing.
i would carry him back to the litter box, and he would use the bathroom.

now im starting to get worried that i may be renforcing this behavior...
i dont want him to expect me to carry him to the bathroom every time he needs to poop.

recently ive been pushing him towards the room with the litterbox instead of carrying him..... once i get him to the hallway he meows and runs right to the litterbox....

next time should i just leave him be and see what happens?
i really dont feel like cleaning up a mess....
but at the same time, am i starting a bad habit?

thanks for the replys

[hyp]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A stab in the dark here since I'm not having a big house, but how about having two litter boxes, one on the each floor. Or have one for each "business", i.e. one box for number one and one for number two.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive already got 3 litterboxes :)

2 on the 1st floor (which the new kitten does not have access to, i feel hes a bit too young to have access to the entire house right now)
and 1 on the 2nd floor in his room...

i have 1 more litterbox, but i was saving it for when he starts exploring the 1st floor of the house...

[hyp]

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Is he the only kitty? Because sometimes cats like their own little spot - although I doubt he would get territorial at 11 weeks of age
Another idea would be that he might not like the texture of the litter. Plus alaways remeber the litter boxes have to be very clean ...
I can't think of any other possibility right now..let's hear what happens next :wink:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its basically his own litter box... the other kitties dont use it....
and he has no problem peeing or pooing when he is locked up in his little room...
only when hes out playing....
strange indeed....

[hyp]

·
Registered
4 Posts
ah i had the same problem with a cat my family used to have, a little persian kitty my mom got for my brother, and boy he had problems. he was sweet as everything, but he couldnt figure out how to use his box right. he would pee in it half the time, sometimes its just beside the box, but boy hed poop wherever he pleased. we tried and tried to get him to use it but he just had a big problem gettin used to it, but we finally tried just putting him in the bathroom overnight for a week or so, *only at night* and he finally started to get the idea. maybe try this for a night or so or even just a little while when you go out to the store or something, or just try putting him in there for 5 or 10 mins at a time, like have a sort of break time from his playing. and yeah try to keep it very clean. as for the texture part, if that ends up bein the case, you can try cut up newspaper, ive known cats to only use the newspaper in the box. owell, good luck =))!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, heres an update...
i think he knows where the box is and how to use it...
he just wants some company or something
today he was playing and whatnot, then he starts doing the bathroom meow again....
i followed the noise and found him in the bedroom lying in the corner with this look on his face....
normally at this point i would pick him up and bring him to the litter box, but i wanted to get to the bottem of this so i just left him there...

he carried on fer a few seconds then stopped meowing..
then he started running around like a maniac, and tore off to his litter box....

no mess no problems...
strange kitty indeed...

[hyp]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts