Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently adopted a 5 month old boy and we recently noticed that he had some problems with the litterbox. After he finishes his business and tries to cover it up with litter, he sometimes ends up stepping in it and then goes tracking all over the house. Is there any way to stop him from doing this?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Welcome, and glad you found us! Congrats on your new adoptee!

It's a common problem with little wee'uns who're uncoordinated and still learning. My Mozart and Pixie did this when they were young also. They haven't figured out to go forward first before circling around to cover. They both outgrew it, but one thing that could help is a really big litterbox, so they can circle around better. I know it sounds funny, they are so tiny, and the box seems big enough already. But go much bigger.

I was lucky, I was usually around and could hear when they were going, so I'd try to have a scoop ready to get it out before they stepped in it, or I would let them step in it so they could learn, then grab 'em and wash their paws. Thankfully I only had to do it for a couple months. Meantime, lots of Clorox wipes and trying to figure out where they'd been walking! :D

Good luck, and I'm sure other members will have more suggestions for ya.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Different problem

I have a 17 year old male cat that loves to drink (or try to) out of the toliet. He can barely get around but manages to jump up there. We have a big water bowl that is kept clean but he perfers the "other" water. I have finally had to keep the lids down (when I think about it) on both toliets. Why in the world would he prefer that water over clean water in the kitchen. All my other cats drink out of the water bowl and have never even attempted to drink out of the toliet. I'm afraid that one day he will fall in and drown, luckily I work at home so I might be able to save him if it ever happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree - this is common in young cats. They just haven't learned yet. A couple of things that helped when mine was doing this are:
1. I put a large piece of indoor/outdoor carpet in front of the litter box. The roughness helped clean of a little bit of the mess off her paws as she walked over it.
2. I also put her scratching post right next to the box. She loves her scratching post, so most of the time she would use it after doing her business. Yes, the post got dirty quickly - but better that than my entire house!!!
Hope this helps!! But if all else fails - be patient - this will pass.

Cindy

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats used to use bathroom right after one another or even try to at the same time when they were babies. Sometimes they would step on a lil piece afterwards and gosh was that the worst smelling thing! They grow out of it trust me but meanwhile, be ready right after they use the restroom 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts