Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two indoor 5 year old Calico sisters that have been together since birth. They usually get along great and we have had no problems in the past with fighting (other than horse play). Two days ago one was admitted to the vets for a urinary tract infection and spent one night there. She returned home yesterday (Sunday) and the other sister freaked out. She won't go anywhere near her sister and hisses at her on sight. Last night they slept in seperate bedrooms and today there has been no change. We thought it might be a scent that the one sister picked up at the vet so we gave her a quick bath but that made no difference. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
from what I've read in the past, it definitely sounds like the scent is the major issue here. just by bathing, I don't think it's possible to get rid of the scent completely. I hear drops of vanilla are great, but other members probably have more educated responses than mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We've had the same thing happen - after the first vet visit separation, it was war for 3-4 days. Then things got back to normal. With each vet visit, it's gotten better. We never got to the point of wanting to try anything - we just waited it out - but I've heard vanilla can be good, too. A drop between the shoulder blades, I believe. I think it makes everyone smell the same, and therefore familiar. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
The longest my cats fought for was 4 days and that was after one got major dental surgery. In a few days time everything should be back to normal. Try not to worry!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You can also take a favorite blanket of the cat that stayed home and rub it on the cat that was at the vet, then rub it on the cat that stayed home.

Or if you don't have a favorite blanket, use a clean towel and rub one cat, then the other, then the first one again.

It's the same concept as the vanilla, the point is to make the cats smell like each other.

Or you could cut out the middle man and rub the cats together (let me know if that works out :lol: )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts